Band heater vaporizer. - Page 42
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Default Re: Band heater vaporizer.

Hello All,

I need some advise.

My new unit works like a speed bird. The bottom pipe exit proves to be very efficient and the 1.5" inside the bowel seems to keep more heat and speeds-up the heat recovery time.

I treated my hives last night from the back through my standard mid center 1/4" hole with 3 gram of OA. Before that, I took the entrance reducer out, swept all garbage out on the bottom board and installed my white cardboard trays to catch the mites and other debris. I installed the reducers again with the smallest opening free and opened the winter covers from the back and vaporized.

Since it was getting dark, I left the cardboard in till early morning and found no mites on the cardboard. Please don't ask if I did a pre-mite count, since I am not wasting 100 some bees now and open the hive up to do so.

Question is, should I repeat the treatment in four days?

The bees are flying very nicely now with 15-20C in the day. I am feeding, but the bees take very little syrup or pollen substitute.

All the best, Joerg K.
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

How do I go about buying one from you?

I would look at the sticky boards on day three and judge from that; Many people have reported that drops are heavier after a few days compared to the first day. I have never really had a heavy enough load to have impressive drops. This is a good time of year to get the counts right down then you likely will not have to worry about dealing with honey supers.

Treatment cost is no issue and the band heater style is so quick that time is not an issue either...... the bees dont seem inconvenienced by the treatment so dont be shy!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryob4 View Post
    How do I go about buying one from you?
    Hello Jerryob4, if you are talking to me, I only ship within Canada, not south of the 49. So if you are in the States, look at johno's unit and send him a pm. Or, if in Canada, send one to me.

Maybe ayour location, it makes answering (any) question easier to determine the answer, cause it makes adifference if you in Flroida, California, Ontario, Alberta or somewhere else in the world.

Cheers, bee happy, Joerg K.

double post
    Last edited by Biermann; 03-24-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: double post

Thanks Frank, you are absolutely right, it takes no time to treat, but 15-20 min. to uncover my hives and I am getting lazy in my age.

I guess my supers don't go on before later in May or early June and I could easier do a 4 day x 6 treatment regime before the supers go on with wash test just before I treat, then I know what is the matter.

Cheers, Joerg K.

BTW, we had very nice weather up to 20C, but now it snows again and around 0.
    Last edited by Biermann; 03-24-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spolling

Thumbs Up Re: Band heater vaporizer.

Here is my latest prototype:

Kudos to all for sharing your ideas, most of all to johno for giving us the courage to try...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by Biermann View Post
    Thanks Frank, you are absolutely right, it takes no time to treat, but 15-20 min. to uncover my hives and I am getting lazy in my age.

I guess my supers don't go on before later in May or early June and I could easier do a 4 day x 6 treatment regime before the supers go on with wash test just before I treat, then I know what is the matter.

Cheers, Joerg K.

BTW, we had very nice weather up to 20C, but now it snows again and around 0.
    I have holes drilled in the rear of my bottom boards that i can reach without unwrapping. Nex winter I would like to have access hole in the feed shim as well. Top down might have some advantage in colder conditions.

Your weather sounds very familiar! 12th of June is about time for me to super. Our weather slides in off the north shore of Lake superior.
    Frank

More finished units to go out.

I have changed now to only produce the bottom exit tube after one customer tried to wedge a top exit tube in to the bottom bee entrance and broke it off.

Ready to ship-1.JPGReady to ship-2.JPGReady to ship-3.JPG

BTW, I opened my hives yesterday to give them syrup & pollen patties and I have 100% survival and brood in every hive.

Cheers, Joerg

Johno,you were interested in users of your EasyVap that had used both the white and red caps .I have used both and in my case i like the red better because the white ones seem to set deeper in the cup and block the tube more easily than the red.The EasyVap is so much better than the pan type.Much faster and so much easier.Thanks again for a great,affordable product.For anyone on the fence about buying one,get one,believe me you won't be disappointed.

I have never had the problem of the cap blocking the outlet, The 100% silicone caps are very much softer than the highly filled red caps so can be seated much more gently if pushed in too far they tend to be more difficult to remove once treatment is done however they come out quite easily if they are twisted a little when removing. The red caps seem to deteriorate after a time which I think is due to the filler breaking down with the high temperature and this does no appear to be happening to the pure silicone caps.

Johno,i hear you,but even if i just lightly tap the cap when dumping the OA it will block the outlet,even with the red i will have to pull the caps back out a little because of them sitting to far down in the cup causing the blockage,but they are not as bad as the white,don't get me wrong,this is a small ,very small,inconvenience for the ease of this compared to pan types.I like it a lot.

Hi there Joerg, I PM'd you yesterday about one of these units. I am interested and live in Ontario so all I need is a price before they are gone and shipping. Thanks in advance, Jack

Quote Originally Posted by robinh View Post
    Johno,i hear you,but even if i just lightly tap the cap when dumping the OA it will block the outlet,even with the red i will have to pull the caps back out a little because of them sitting to far down in the cup causing the blockage,but they are not as bad as the white,don't get me wrong,this is a small ,very small,inconvenience for the ease of this compared to pan types.I like it a lot.
    Hello robinh, why don't you take a sharp knife and cut the plug off 1/4"? It will reduce the volume of your plug cavity, but you should still have enough room for the charge.

BTW, this problem has been solved with my bottom exit tube Low Discharge-1.JPG since the entrance for the vapor can be lowered and since the tube is very close to the wall no charge falls directly in the tube when the charge is dropped.

Joerg K.

I just finished by band heater OAV. It is constructed all with electrical and pipe fittings. No welding/brazing required. The vaporization cup has a lot of thermal mass with 1/4" thick walls, and 1" thick base all aluminum (0.4 lbs total).

thanks for all the great ideas posited on this thread, particularly from johno.

20190407_181723.jpg
    20190407_181706.jpg
    20190407_181550.jpg

Parts list:
    44705K89 Low-Pressure Aluminum Pipe Fitting, Straight Connector, 1-1/4 NPT Female $4.40
    7280K14 Threaded Hole Plug, 1-1/4 NPT $4.71
    B073F3SG18 1/8" NPT MALE STRAIGHT TO 1/4" HOSE BARB NIPPLE Blue ALUMINUM FITTING $6.99
    BNHL00142 and Heater, 2 In. Dia., 120V, 900 Deg F $40.46
    PC5R-ABT1 Dual Display Manual/Auto-tuning PID Temperature Controller TA4-RNR $23.99
    Silicone Hollow Tapered Plugs - Orange 1.469/1.750 Hollow Silicone Plug, Red-Oxide MOCAP MHSP1.469/1.750 (qty5) $5.27 /ea
    deep electrical box
    box cover plate
    2" pipe hanger
    Last edited by Alex Madsen; 04-07-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Alex - would you have a parts list? have you fired it yet? it looks unused.

Anthony

I just edited my post with parts list. I have heated it but not used acid yet. I ordered the wrong size MoCaps, so I am waiting on Amazon to deliver before I try it with acid.

back of the envelope calculations on the heat capacity of my vaporizer cup.

0.22 (Btu/(lbm oF)) * (315F-372F) temperature rang of sublimaiton * .4lbm= 5btu=5275.28jules

(97.91kJ/mol) /(90.03g/mole)=1.087kJ/gOA sublimated

5.27528kJ/( 1.087kJ/gOA )=4.85gOA sublimated

4.8gOA sublimated ) 2 g/treatment=2.4 treatments without reheating required

Can you include links to your post? Also, any corrosion issues with your pot? My guess is that it is better than copper and aluminum for heat capacity. So, it should take more time to heat up, but should keep its heat better? I really appreciate the effort of sharing your design here!

Quote Originally Posted by Biermann View Post
    Hello robinh, why don't you take a sharp knife and cut the plug off 1/4"? It will reduce the volume of your plug cavity, but you should still have enough room for the charge.

BTW, this problem has been solved with my bottom exit tube Low Discharge-1.JPG since the entrance for the vapor can be lowered and since the tube is very close to the wall no charge falls directly in the tube when the charge is dropped.

Joerg K.
    That's why i didn't cut the plug off,i'm treating 4 meds.,so the plug depth is just right for the amount of OA needed ,but thanks for the input.

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast