Band heater vaporizer. - Page 31
Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Default Re: Band heater vaporizer.

I did my hives 5 times 4 days apart starting about third week of August. Used a Varrox and wet rag across entrance. I was seeing very little drone brood which takes 24 days(8 open and 16 days capped). If you are concerned about drone brood, covering 16 days plus 3 days for OAV efficacy should cover 19 days. Worker brood is 13 days capped.

I put a sticky board down after first and second treatment to see what dead mite count is for three days. Was counting less than 20 so hives didn't need treating but was a simple way to check mite infestation. However, carried on treatment to knock mites down. I also plan to do a late October, one time OAV when mostly broodless.

Check Ian's video on OAV. I will get a link and post it here with an edit. My memory says he was using an entrance reducer and 2-3 grams in a single deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5yp...PBZrU3-9xaRji8
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Biermann View Post
    More questions: do you all keep the entrance open as is, let's say with a reducer, or do you seal the entrance? I use to do this with a wet towel with the bottom OAV pan. I normally do this late evening, when it is dark and all bees are home.

The season is drawing to an end, but I still have broad in the boxes, how often to treat? Every five days, for 25 days so 6 times, or twice now and then in November again with mostly no brood?

Joerg
    I treat from the back of my hives through a hole drilled in the top lip of my bottom board. I do not close the front entrances on my hives. It takes too long, and I can see that that the vapor is permeating my hives completely even with the front entrances open. MY FRONT ENTRANCES ARE 1 INCH BY 3/4 INCH THOUGH. If yours are wide open, you would probably want a reducer.
    You're going to get a variety of answers on how often to treat. Given the life cycle of the mite, I feel like going over 5 days is allowing too many get back back down into open brood in between treatments. I've had great success though treating every 5 days, and I like to treat for 24 - 28 days.
    Just FYI, I am currently in the middle of round of treatments for 18 colonies. I treat Monday and Friday every week. I started Monday, August 27, and my last treatment will be this next Friday, Sept 21. This will probably seem like overkill to some, but I have the time to do it, and I want complete eradication. You should have great results treating 6 times every fifth day.
    Zone 9B - Central Florida Space Coast,
    Second Year - Treat with OAV - Plus or Minus 16 Hives

Joerg, I treated my hives in August, 5 times about 5 days apart. I then did random mite counts about 2 weeks after treatment and had 1 mite per 1/2 cup of bees. However 1 hive had 3 mites so I will start another round of treatment as soon as this rain is over. Then I will do a treatment in late November and another in December as I want as few mites as possible over winter and into spring. I know this is more treatments than other beekeepers but have found in years before that you can get a sudden increase in mite levels late in the season and as the treatments are so quick and easy and appears to do no harm it allows me to sleep easier. Also my hives are reduced to a small entrance as this time of the year robbing can become a problem so I do not even close them off. However if I was treating from the bottom I would close them off with dry dish towels as anything wet will not last very long once the acid vapor gets onto it.
    Johno

Thanks all,

got the last component this morning, the 3/16 tube, now I am ready to assemble and treat. My son capped the pipe on one side
    Capped.JPG

I will put a toggle switch between the hot wire to the heat band, just because.
    The 3' of thermocouple wire is kind of long, I am planning to shorten it to 6", any objections? I know it is tricky, but should be able to do, have a second in reserve if I screw-up.

The last supers were removed on Wednesday, still with a total of 110lbs from three hives.

All now have a large, 3"x1/2" reducer.

Thanks for all the help.

Joerg
    Last edited by Biermann; 09-15-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spälling
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

Okay, so my OAV is now ready, but I am having issues to configure the MyPin.

Here some pictures:

OAV-2.jpgMyPin-1.jpgMyPin-2.jpgOAV-1.jpg

If anyone sees my mistake, tell me, if not I will keep trying.

Joerg

Biermann it appears you do not have your thermocouple connected correctly, the thermocouple leads should go to terminals 7 and 8 and you should end up with around 70F or 20C when you turn the unit on. The temperature should increase as it heats, if it decreases you will need to swop around the thermocouple connections. Otherwise you may have a faulty thermocouple.
    John

Hello John,

It seems I am getting forward. Yes, the thermo couple was on the wrong terminals, fixed and I have readout, but the temp. does not go up and I have 2 jumped to 3, one wire from the heating element to 1 and the other to 4.

I had the jumper on 5 yesterday and the second from the heat element to 6, then it heated, but continuously, but 5 & 6 are is the alarm switch.

MyPin-3.JPG

Joerg

Biermann I wire it like this, the black wire from your cord and one lead from your heater go to #1, the white wire from the cord and one end of your jumper wire to #2, then the other end of the jumper wire to #3 then the other heater lead to #4, the thermocouple to #7 and #8 and the ground wire to whatever the copper part is bolted to. Also make sure that you have a Mypin TA4 RnR.
    Johno

John, I just did my hives in manual mode. Good I put the toggle switch in. The readout showed 350 in upside-down position and I turned the unit upside to drop the charge. The 3 gram went out in less then a minute. I noticed a small amount leaking at the mounting screw, so I need to modify this a little, didn't want to over tighten the screw and damage the thermo couple. Four hives done in no time. I noticed my heat coil did start smoking when I went to 400°F, so I went back to 350°F.

My MyPin is a TA4-SNR-K, so I goofed-up and have to see what to do. Have to read the instructions more thorough, but I got them treated and go on vacation now for two weeks.

Cheers, Joerg

I used 3/16 steel brake line for the outlet tube because I have it laying around it works but does crystallize sometimes , I take it your using rigid copper tubing 3/16 where is everyone finding it

Laketrout if you can work with a shorter nozzle that might prevent the steel tube from clogging. I have bought small copper tubing from my local Ace hardware store, it comes in rolls and you can buy it by the foot. I worked with marine refrigeration and air conditioning so I have that kind of stuff lying around. The other possibility is fitting some copper tube over the steel which might help by conducting more heat to the steel.
    Johno

Johno I found soft copper in the roll at the hardware store but it seemed like it would bend to easy when letting the vaporizer hang by itself when vaporizing , if thats what your using I will give it a try , I just assumed you were using the rigid form of copper pipe and not the soft copper in the rolls

Laketrout I made one with 3/16 steel brake line , I did have a problem with it clogging up when it was about 2 in long so I cut it down to 1 1/2 now it does not clog , I did 50 hives today without a problem

That is the stuff,3/16" OD and about 1/8" ID. I cut that to a max of 2" long, the heat from welding makes the copper very soft so once it is welded do not drop the copper otherwise you can distort the opening where the mocap plug goes in and then you might not get a good seal. Once the band heater is clamped around the copper it helps to protect it, I also use 5/16" fiber glass rope to wrap around the band heater which I then hold together with duck tape to prevent the rope from unraveling
    Johno.

Ok guys I will try cutting the length down and see how it goes from there , Thanks .

Cjj, where did you find the box you used to mount your PID? BTW, you have a PM.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Post #153? Looks like a electrical junction box painted black.

Johno, did you cut the plugs out to have the large chamber? Mine hold only 1.5 gram and cutting them open is a pain, any suggestions how to?

Habee vaporizing.

Joerg

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Cjj, where did you find the box you used to mount your PID? BTW, you have a PM.
    I got them on eBay
    HAMMOND 1591TSBK ENCLOSURE, MULTIPURPOSE, ABS, BLACK 1 piece

Joerg, did you use 1" copper pipe. I am using a 11/4" copper coupling and its inside diameter is 1.367", the mocap plugs that fit this will hold at least 3 grams.
    Johno

Question Re: Band heater vaporizer.

I'd like to add my thanks to all who contributed to this thread, especially JohnO. Lots of smart and handy people here, I'm humbled.

Myself and four or five of my Bee Club friends are going to make a project of building vaporizers after JohnO's version.

We all have our own constraints as we plan our own version of JohnO's work developing a poor man's version of this vaporizer. I found copper couplings for 1.5" pipe locally, shown here:

The inside diameter of this coupling measures 1.625" (coupling is 2.3" long). I have ordered short lengths of 1.625" 6061 aluminium rod as shown HERE on ebay. These short rods can be cut again to 5/8"-3/4" in length and pressed into the bottom of the coupling. Any recommendations on the best length for optimal mass in the bottom of the bowl?

I'm interested in Johno's experience as to an optimum size and wattage for the band heater...? If we were lucky and chose the right physical size and wattage, we could forego the PID. That would be our first choice, but we remain flexible on that. Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lburou; 10-07-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast