Band heater vaporizer. - Page 48
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Default Re: Band heater vaporizer.

THis is all great info.
    THanks everyone for chiming in.
    I would love to get one of your devices Johno, but I understand you are backed way up on production.
    I may have to try my hand at making one myself.
    Any tips or guidance...???
    I am reading through the entire thread now.
    Clearly should have done this BEFORE.

THanks
    Last edited by alfred westlake; 10-28-2019 at 07:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Msl, I have no idea how the research on the OA dosage was carried out, or whether this would be effected in any way by actual field conditions and hive setups.
    I posted the link
    Trials were carried out in winter, January 2013, using 110 honey bee colonies located in 10 apiaries at or within 20 km of the University of Sussex in southern England. The colonies were all in hives consisting of a single “commercial” brood chamber (11 frames each 43.8 x 25.4 cm, vol. 56.4 l), wooden bottom board with mesh floor, inner cover, and telescopic outer cover.

Hive inspections approximately four weeks before the trials were used to exclude any queenless colonies. Subsequent hive inspections approximately three weeks before the experimental trials showed that c. 90% of the colonies did not have any brood. The other 10% had small amounts of sealed or open brood, which was removed 1–2 days later using a honey fork. As a result, all varroa mites in all colonies were phoretic on the adult bees.
    Toufailia Et Al 2016

Any tips or guidance...???
    I found this list handy https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...79#post1746979

I would be very careful with the increased dosage logic. There are issues and limits. One of Dr. Ellis's reports showed redistribution or "spreading" of OA by bees in a short period of time. One thing that amazes me is the ability of the vapor to find any "leak" or vent to the outside or broken propolis joints. This especially shows up in new boxes when I chip a dovetail joint. I am curious about your average rate of OAV'ing per hive in minutes including all motions and preparing. I average 12 minutes per hive total including moving and preparation time using a Varrox wand. My hive pairs are spaced out with 100 Ft. + between sets. I have thought of buying a second Vorrox to cut the time required to OAV per hive.

Hello Robert,

I did use a 12VDC wand too, one fall and then I had enough of this process. The Band heater vaporizer works so much better and quicker. The best thing is to treat from the side or back, no bees that bother you or vis versa.

Also, not putting all the valuable and scientific pro's and con's down, but the vaporizer work, the bees are as healthy as with apivar and it treats for pennies when I want it done. No waiting time or strip removal etc.

Time depends a little on the ambient temperature, affecting the heat loss from the band heater. I build this for two years:IMG_8053.jpg it did see some updates over the time and works pretty quick. No way going back to a wand. Once going, 30 seconds to a minute per hive, preparing the loads is the bigger holdup then treating.
    Last edited by Biermann; 10-28-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Missed something
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

I just finished building my temperature controlled unit and am using the band heater that JohnO recommends. My first time turning it on and testing the heat up process I got a lot of colored smoke coming from the band heater. I was just wondering if others have experienced this? I purchased two heaters and they both did it. After the initial heating to a little over 450 the smoke stopped and I am not getting it when reheating. Just thinking it is burning off something from the manufacturing process but thought I would ask about others experience.

Thanks

Should be just the volatiles outgassing

Hello Rogue26, the manufacturers say to not heat them up to full load at startup. I use mine with 135°C first, check recovery with water several times and then go to the 204°C, 400°F. It is, as trj says, the winding's gasing volatile's of from the manufacturing process. It is normal.
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748