Band heater vaporizer. - Page 44
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Default Re: Band heater vaporizer.

me too, but i'm very curious, before spending that much I wanted some feedback...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

When using the EasyVap, do you normally block off the front entrance too?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHive View Post
    This looks great if you want to spend over $400 for something you can build as effective for about $70 (the device this thread is dedicated to). If you have hundreds of hives it may make sense.

If your entrances are wide open or the gap is big enough for a large amount of vapor to escape just smoke the entrance and close it off with a rolled up dish cloth. A dry dish cloth not a wet one unless you want to replace your dish cloths very quicly as the vapor will disolve into the wet cloth and pretty soon it will start to come apart.

Thumbs Up Re: Band heater vaporizer.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    If your entrances are wide open or the gap is big enough for a large amount of vapor to escape just smoke the entrance and close it off with a rolled up dish cloth. A dry dish cloth not a wet one unless you want to replace your dish cloths very quicly as the vapor will disolve into the wet cloth and pretty soon it will start to come apart.
    And...Don't wipe perspiration from your face with that cloth! It will burn.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    And...Don't wipe perspiration from your face with that cloth! It will burn. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
    Probably sound advice. Haha.

Here is my version of it using the no brazing option. It came out cheap as I had most of the hardware. I also used a Berm (not berme) Rex C100 which is more limited as a PID but it is plenty for our application. I had to set the temperature sensor off by -20C to get the temperature inside the pot to be 230C (what the provap uses). I used the auto-tune to set the P, I and D and use a solid state relay for longevity. It vaporizes very fast and because of the mass of aluminum, the temperature drop is very minor. Will list my materials and costs here if interested. I had to machine out some of the thread of the pipe coupling for a good fit of the cap with a mini lathe. Besides the pot, the whole contraption is warm to the touch but does not exceed 35C. The radiator remains at about 30C. Thank you all for your help. It surely has been a fun project which took much time to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    I dont see a need for solid state relay unless you dont like the clicking sound a of a mechnical relay.
    If a mechanical relay opens it's contacts under load, then usually a small spark is created. This does two things: firstly it creates electrical interference; secondly, over time this sparking destroys the plating on the contact's surface which eventually causes them to develop 'high resistance' and fail.

SSR's have zero-voltage switching circuitry which ensures that loads are connected and disconnected whenever the AC waveform is either at - or very nearly at - the zero-voltage cross-over point, thus eliminating any surge current into the load.
    They have a longer life expectancy when compared to relays - but are more expensive - and unlike relays, can only be used with AC supplies.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Here are my costs and list of materials. I have not added the screws, tap, electrical cord and connectors as I have that or got it out of scrap equipment. Total is about $75, so it was not cheap and getting one from this board is worth the cost but without the fun of R&D and making one. You can see that PIDs on Ebay are very cheap. The seller actually gave me $5 back as the heat sink was not included. I do not pay shipping with MSCdirect.

Ebay:
    TEMPCO Band Heater,2 In. Dia.,120V,900 Deg F, NHL00142 $27.91
    REX-C100 Digital PID Temperature Controller Max 40A SSR K Thermocouple Heatsink $14.74
    25A/40A 250V SSR-25DA SSR-40DA Solid State Relay Alloy Heat Sink $5.29
    1/8" NPT MALE STRAIGHT TO 1/4" HOSE PORT NIPPLE RED ALUMINUM FINISH ADAPTER $4.36
    Lowes
    1/4-3-2 POPLAR PROJECT BOARD $1.81
    1/4-IN-20 BRAD HOLE N TEE NT N3 Item #: 137342 $1.13
    TRUSS COMBO MS 8-32X1/2 5-CT Item #: 15050 $1.28
    Hillman 3-ft x 1-in Aluminum Metal Flat Bar $7.48
    Mscdirect
    MSC #*78142130******Latrobe Foundry -*1-1/4" Aluminum Pipe Coupling - 150 psi, F End Connection, Grade 6061-T6 $3.69
    MSC #*78142692**Latrobe Foundry - 1-1/4" Aluminum Pipe Square Head Plug - 150 psi, M End Connection, Grade 356-F $6.35

Total: $74.04

Were did you place the thermocouple?

I'm on my third use of the EasyVap, with 15 hives in the yard. Love it.

Ran into a slight problem on last round. When I flip over the unit, the OA is not dropping into the heater, even with finger tapping, or banging with the handle of the screwdriver I use to de-propolise the holes.

It eventually drops, but is taking a lot of banging. I'm not stuffing the OA into the bowl, just dropping a couple of measuring spoonfulls into the holder.

I do notice that there is a bunch of OA buildup inside the holder from user. It looks like a fine power coating inside and on the top of the holder. I'm guessing that is just re-crystalize OA, and that it may be the cause of the hang up.

Has anyone else run into this?

The OA is dry, as I cap the bottle tightly after each use, and it is still very powerdery.

When you take the used cap to refill just take your loading spoon and wind it around on the inside of the cap to remove any of the condensed OA from the inside edges of the cap then refill the cap as normal and it will fall into the bowl every time. Also do clean your bowl with water and a brush after use or the residue can build up and slow down the sublimation. You can use a tooth brush to do this, but dont use yours I use my wife's!

MSL if you use a thermocouple that is used with a multi meter, the end is just some small wires twisted and fused together, this can be inserted between the bottom of the bowl and a stainless steel washer and clamped tightly with the mounting bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    Were did you place the thermocouple?
    My PID came with a thermocouple that was threaded. It screws tightly in the bottom of the aluminum plug that screws into the aluminum fitting.

Thanks
    that's what I thought I saw in the 1st picture, but I was 2nd guessing that it may come in on the side of the plug so it could be tapped and mounted to the AL stock
    most of the parts came in today!

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    Thanks
    that's what I thought I saw in the 1st picture, but I was 2nd guessing that it may come in on the side of the plug so it could be tapped and mounted to the AL stock
    most of the parts came in today!
    I can help you with more detailed pictures if you want. Did you buy the plugs too? I had that plug for another project (glad it fitted perfectly after I sanded the threads). It is not expensive, but they generally sell them in bulk. So, adding the plug would add to the cost. Look for mocaps.com. My plug was made by another company (reason why it is clear silicone and not red). I do not recall the name of the company but there are a few companies out there that make hollowed silicone caps.

would love some more pictures
    I have one coming that is made to fit 1.25" FNPT for paint masking might be able to avoid the sanding

Anyone here is working on a silicone heat mat treatment (set at 107F) for 2.5 hours for hive beetle and mite treatment? Should be easy to do with a PID. Trying to find a a cheap source for the heating silicone mat/blanket etc. Can someone help me here?

Can't find the Mypin A4-RNR (part number cited by Johno on page 29) at Amazon or on a Google search. Has the part name changed to TA4 instead of A4? And does the thermocouple that comes with the unit at the amazon link work for the OAV application, or would I need to find a different one?

https://www.amazon.com/TA4-SNR-Therm.../dp/B0195V53X8
    Last edited by jarenrogers; 08-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344