CO2 levels with Indoor Wintering Honeybees - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: CO2 levels with Indoor Wintering Honeybees

Not that it would be a viable treatment, just wondering if anyone attempted it to see if they could get a good mite knock down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Not that it would be a viable treatment, just wondering if anyone attempted it to see if they could get a good mite knock down.
    There are a couple of issues with this... CO2 does not appear to be lethal to the mites it just anesthetizes them just like the bees. It is a gentle process were the bees fall to lowest point point allowed. Mites still hang on pretty well although some are dislodged. CO2 tends to cause bees to regurgitate their crop contents. A hot mass of sticky bees is a pretty sure disaster, but I guess good mite control too. All depends on your standards.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    I had not heard that overwintering bees kept CO2 levels high and was going to ask if there was research on the subject I could read. I googled it and found this abstract of a small experiment that correlated higher CO2 levels with higher mite mortality. As it is only an abstract I couldn't dig into the nitty-gritty, but I thought it was worth posting nonetheless.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26453704
    Here are the full papers Adrian & Allen.
    1. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...89157812732587
    2. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...50347930193285
    3. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05858068185874882793
    Last edited by pleasantvalley; 11-23-2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added all 3 papers

A neat trick;
    to observe the effect of air mixing within the winter room, place a lit smoker in the corner and watch the smoke stir into the room.
    And if it's not, ramp up the ceiling fans

I have heard there are some people out west experimenting with custom barns that have the capability of vaporizing oxalic acid throughout the whole barn. Any word on whether this is true or not? Do you think its possible?

CO2 is good for veggies production inside a grow room. Perhaps you can
    figure out a way to harvest some to channel into your grow room for plants and
    veggies production during the winter time. Find a way to vent the CO2 into the growing
    chamber. Which veggies crops will favor a high to moderate CO2 level?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler91 View Post
    I have heard there are some people out west experimenting with custom barns that have the capability of vaporizing oxalic acid throughout the whole barn. Any word on whether this is true or not? Do you think its possible?
    Yikes,
    How's that even possible?
    Treatment individually, maybe.. dangerous but possible. Shed treatment, not likely.
    Guys up here have tried with Formic. Is that what your thinking of?

Thanks PV

The Van Nerum and Buelens paper is truly fascinating.

The last point in the discussion "Practical apicultural applications of the findings are not available as yet, but e.g. wintering under artificial hypoxia is no longer an unrealistic prospect." and point 10 "As low airflow for gas analysis is a poor heat transporter, but it is a draught and bees abhor this. It destroys the insulating still-air situation and might hypoxia." makes me wonder if there would be a benefit in leaving entrance reducers on for winter; especially if the ambient RH levels in the wintering room are low and condensation in the hive is not a problem as a result.

I think many of the indoor wintering recommendations as based upon "common sense" but have minimal scientific validity.

I don't see OAV working in a wintering room either. The OA would sublimate back to solid form before it entered the hive I would think. Repeated doses OA over a period of time would probably result in corrosion any metal and concrete. Formic would work better but would also be extremely corrosive. I can't see either being practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Martens View Post
    Thanks PV

The Van Nerum and Buelens paper is truly fascinating.

The last point in the discussion "Practical apicultural applications of the findings are not available as yet, but e.g. wintering under artificial hypoxia is no longer an unrealistic prospect." and point 10 "As low airflow for gas analysis is a poor heat transporter, but it is a draught and bees abhor this. It destroys the insulating still-air situation and might hypoxia." makes me wonder if there would be a benefit in leaving entrance reducers on for winter; especially if the ambient RH levels in the wintering room are low and condensation in the hive is not a problem as a result.

I think many of the indoor wintering recommendations as based upon "common sense" but have minimal scientific validity.
    I've tried wintering with the reducers in place but there was just too much condensation issues inside the hives because of the reduced hive air exchange. Also my hives have no upper entrance so there is no updraft to expel excess humidity.
    RH is a tricky balance. Mild weather systems ramp humidity up, then cold dry air systems plumit. I think too dry is better than wet

It's probably one factor why wintered hives in yard fulls of snow faired better because that snow cover would help minimize disturbances And protected that CO2 cluster shield

I have a small indoor wintering shed off of the back of my garage. There are 13 nuc hives in there with a fan to circulate the air which is maintained at 40 deg F. There is also a fan that fources air from my garage into the bee shed 4 times a day for 15 minutes. The nucs have quilt box tops to allow air in the pressureized shed (when the garage air is fourced into the bee shed) to reverse flow through the hives and out tthe landing boards which are open to the outside through the wall...This seems to work well as springtime populations are very good and ready tto rip in early april. The only drawback is that during the winter when the hives are blowing air out the entrances when the shed is pressurized the bees think it's 40 F outside and go for a cleansing flight, to their demise BUT this is offset by the fact that the qqueen is also more active and there is no shortage of bees (young)......I don't know what the co2 levels are but am now curous to know and may monitor it next winter...

==McBee7==

CO2 LEVELS @6%, temps @ 40, mite kill rate 90%.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    CO2 LEVELS @6%, temps @ 40, mite kill rate 90%.
    I think WSU proved that theory wrong.

I just bought this one for my small room I am experimenting with; I have 200 hives in and with the Fans only idling the last two weeks, the levels are sitting at 1200PPM
    http://www.co2meter.com/collections/...able-co2-meter

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noyes View Post
    I think WSU proved that theory wrong.
    Nick, there's a guy just north of me wanting to put up a building( bee storage)
    with this in mind, he mention guys that are having these results.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Who stole the bus from atop Keith??

I think Keith is typing in his sleep again.

It was my understanding that the study used to get a 90% mite drop with co2 also used tweezers to pull mites off bees before test to get an accurate count of mites before trial.
    If my memory is correct WSU did see 40% drops without tweezer method.
    So there are some benifits to raised levels of co2 however tweezers are the silver bullet.

What was the CO2 ppm to achieve those results and under what timeline?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast