Ugh.. probably killed my queen...

Default Ugh.. probably killed my queen...

Had a queen that just mated. I got lucky since it was so late in the season. I decided it was time to paint her..

Well.. Not sure exactly what happened but next thing I know, her thorax, the back side of her abdomen and part of her wings were painted. She stumbled around like a drunk.. I cursed a bit and put her back in the hive..

The workers now appear to be attacking her or balling her or maybe they are just trying to lick off all the paint.

ugh.. I hate learning from my mistakes.. feeling awful.

Probably too late to try for another queen so I guess I will watch a few days and then merge hives if she dies.

-s

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ugh.. probably killed my queen...

If your beekeeping is a hobby why would you paint your queens?

I have her in an observation hive.. it's easier for me to show off the hive to others when I can locate her in seconds.. I guess it's personal preference.

I like to find them without paint I feel it will improve my skills as a beekeeper. But if I buy a queen I will have them painted.

She might not be done for. I was marking a friends queens for him this summer and my paint pen let go with a giant shot of ink all over one of them needless to say I felt like crap and was going to give him one of my queens. Went back a week later to see if they had queen cells started much to my surprise running around a frame was the brightest yellow queen ever had no trouble finding her. She is still in the hive as far as I know.

There have been too many similar stories resulting from using the pen directly: Much safer and better control by daubing a bit on some surface then using a grass stem or the head of a small finishing nail to pick up and transfer paint from the daub spot onto the queen.
    Frank

I believe you also need to keep her out of the hive until the paint dries. The smell of the paint on her masks her pheromone scent.

Last week I marked a big fat laying queen.
    After the paint dried I put her back into the hive. Her more mature workers did not
    recognized her and started the aggressive scenes toward her. Then she was hiding under
    the sugar bricks which I lifted it off. Suddenly one worker got aggressive and jumped on her. Then the
    other workers followed. I was in a panic mode not knowing what to do. Trying to make a queen cage within
    15-20 minutes later was too late. By the time I got to her she was not moving much. She died in the end!
    Lesson learned here was not to mark a queen without an introduction cage ready on hands. And do separate the queen from the balling bees first before doing anything else at that short moment. Do not disturb them once the queen is inside the hive and make sure to release her on the young emerging bee frame and not direct released on the top bars. I'll wait until Spring time queen making days again before marking anymore queens. Sad for another dead queen!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

One of my friends just found his marked queen on the ground in front of the hive...dead. Anyone know a year round queen supplier? I am assuming they will be out of CA. Thanks.