Questions & Comments on the new ProVap Vaporizer - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Questions & Comments on the new ProVap Vaporizer

Hi Lauri,

Thanks for your reply. I've been using the Provap since late spring of this year. I recently noticed some mite issues and realized I wasn't getting the same level of mite control as I was with a standard vaporizer for the past three years. I had been treating from the bottom of the hive (as I do with my standard vaporizer) but noticed a lot of leaking of OAV fog even I was using the insert that covers the screened bottom board. Maybe the OAV wasn't getting distributed throughout the brood nest. I also wasn't getting much mite drop. I'll try your method of treating from the top. Are you verifying the mite drops or doing alcohol or powered sugar mite counts?

I'll also second your comment about keeping the Provap outlet tube clean and wearing goggles. I also had an issue where the tube became clogged and the lid popped off as well.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

And yet, ANOTHER satisfied customer! This is from Ian Steppler a BS member and commercial beekeeper in Canada

"Neat little device
    And it’s now proven by a commercial to be durable "
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Will you be running any Black Friday specials on your products? I'm planning to buy a ProVap 110 before next season anyway, but I want to prioritize my spending based on the best deals I can get with the funds I have available at the moment.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a Black Friday sale before. I'm sure my wife will have plenty to say when a pallet (or two) of boxes and frames shows up at the house.

Larry,

I bought a PV110 from Mann Lake a couple of months ago. I works great with no problem, however treating with lower outside temps this fall I noticed a small build up of 'snow' in the caps after use. Would it help to warm up the caps a bit before use to lessen this build up? I'll try that when I treat again before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Larry,
    I works great with no problem, however treating with lower outside temps this fall I noticed a small build up of 'snow' in the caps after use. Would it help to warm up the caps a bit before use to lessen this build up? I'll try that when I treat again before Christmas.
    I find the same with the Teflon caps. Basically, I just ignore it and wash the caps out at the end of the day. No harm. You could try (as you stated) warming them a bit, but why bother?

Wrap the bowl with a heat resistant wrap to help contain the heat.
    We find when treating in lower temperatures the bowl temp fluctuations are too much.
    By keeping a continuous burn (hive to hive to hive) the element is never turned off with the thermostat, and a quicker more uniform burn off is achieved

Here is what I did to manage treatments during cool windy weather

https://youtu.be/4zQkxamb6TQ

Youtube video in case you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zH...ature=youtu.be

Provap vaporizer. 11-29-17. Western Washington State, about 46 degrees F.
    This big OB hive (in the video link above) has the interior volume of about 4 deeps so the Provap takes a few seconds to come back up to temp. after that much OA dumps into the bowl.

About 47 seconds into video, you see the Provap getting back up to temp and vaporizing the rest of the OA.
    Remainder of video is lengthy, but recorded for you to see how long the vapor cloud remains. Top and bottom entrances were not sealed for this treatment.
    This hive has bees, but they are sucked up a little higher into the comb above, due to temp starting to drop at the end of the day.

My second year using this unit, still love it and will be buying another on so I can run 2 at a time.

PB290203.jpg
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here is what I did to manage treatments during cool windy weather

https://youtu.be/4zQkxamb6TQ
    I still need to do that. Thanks for the video Ian.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    I still need to do that. Thanks for the video Ian.
    The difference in performance was instant.

Woohoo! my wife got me this for our anniversary. I will head to harbor freight today to get the inverter.
    The inverter i attach to my lawntractor battery right? Then plug the provap into the inverter?

Aran, congratulations on both accounts! Yes, you are correct on the connections. You’re going to love it!

snl-> thanks mate!

do most people drill a small hole in a hive body to match the nozzle on the provap? or just put it in the front entrance of the hive? May make a piece of wood with small hole in to fit on it that fits in the hive opening.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    do most people drill a small hole in a hive body to match the nozzle on the provap? or just put it in the front entrance of the hive? May make a piece of wood with small hole in to fit on it that fits in the hive opening.
    Hard to say what "most" do, but me, it's a 1/4" hole in the back of the hive in the 3/4" slat that the bottom box sits on (not the hive body). Then I just throw an old towel across the front entrance to "seal" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    My second year using this unit, still love it and will be buying another on so I can run 2 at a time.
    I know just the place where you can get that 2nd unit.

Received my ProVAp 110 yesterday (2/21/18) and treated hives this morning. Quick, easy to use, and no problems at all. Elected to drill ¼” hole in back of the bottom hive body, treated each hive in less than a minute before moving to the next hive. Fact is it works almost to fast by the time I load another cup and place on the next hive I do not have time to get back to the one I just finished to put golf tee in the hole. Was easier to just complete all my hives and then go back and plug the drilled holes.

Longest time was waiting the 10 minutes before opening the hives that had been treated. Very pleased with the operation of the ProVap and almost look forward to treating rather than dreading the long, hot, rather slow process of using my wands. Only other drawback is will I be able to sell my wands.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345