Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Great customer service!

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Lauri 
#1 ·
:applause: I ordered my OAV vapor on April 6th and received it today, April 9th, only three days from order to delivery. That is very impressive. I plan to start my first treatment on Monday. Oh one other thing that brought a smile, the vaporvap was wrapped in a Piggly Wiggly bag. Just can’t bet dealing with Southern folks.
Thanks again.

#2 ·
I'm sorely confused. Your post is dated today at least on my screen, which is November 13th, but you said you ordered the vaporizer on April 6th, and recieved it TODAY on April 9th, but today is 7 months past April, and it's Sunday and who delivers anything on Sunday? I need an Advil.

#7 · (Edited)
Nothing but good things to say about this unit.

My first try at using any OAV unit (did about 50 hives in just a couple hours, much of that time was just getting organized and familiar with the unit) and found it to be easy with a very tiny learning curve. Appreciate the 110 feature and not having to haul around a car battery, that would, from comments on beesource, loose it's charge before long.

I vaporized at the top and bottom of hives, this bee was unfortunate enough to be hanging out at the top entrance when I applied so it really got coated.. Even the bees with extreme amounts of residue were flying with no excessive grooming as you would think. This was not the norm and there was no noticeable coating on other bees in the hive, only the ones that got the initial blast at the entrance. But the super macro pics were interesting. Thought you might like to see the crystals on a couple.

I almost wish there was a mite on this bee! That would be a great photo and one to video.
More info to come soon as I get more efficient.

Since temps were cool ( about 47 degrees) and many of my hives are 3 deeps or larger, I chose to use the top entrance because my early tests showed vapor was prone to settle more than to rise. Anything taller than 3 deeps got vaporized at both top and bottom entrances.

The tip on this unit could be longer for applications other than the 3/8" hole method, but should be easily rectified by a small extension like copper tube I can slip over the existing tip. I'll let you know how that works.

#8 · (Edited)
Taller hive application (video).
Remember, I really don't know what I am doing yet. Just whinging it. :)

There is an initial burst of OAV when it hits the hot bottom of the bowl, then a short delay in vaporization as the OA cools the bowl a bit, then takes a few seconds to warm back up to temp. Around 197 reading, it gets going again. You really don't have a delay with a single or double deep. But these larger hives take more OA and it just takes a few seconds longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYC1XveCxU

A couple more pics of bees that were right at the sites of application.

Roof

As long as I tapped the lid and got the OA to the bottom of the bowl with the initial inversion, I found I could hold the unit sideways and it still vaporized competently, making the issue of the short tip not such a bit deal. It still could be a little longer though. Took the photo below to show you what I mean by lid overhang interference.

Bee Wood Insect Membrane-winged insect Beehive

I made a slip over extension that worked good for some of the hives that needed it, like the one above.

Soil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.