I have been making pure beeswax candles for approx 2 months. After heating the wax, filtering and pouring candles, it will somehow start to congeal or something. (temperature is kept at approx 165 - 200 Fahrenheit). Is it possible this is the scalding that I've read about? or is this honey in the wax? Is this propolis?
Can I get rid of it?? I have probably 4-5 pounds of this dirty type wax - prob use it for fire starter pine cones.
I water bathed my wax, let it cool, scrape the dirty stuff off the bottom of the block, then heat it in a double boiler, filter it through 5-6 layers of filter cloth (80 micron - that I bought at the Bee store), then pour my candles. What's Happening??? Driving me crazy
I usually pour 4-5, 2 x 6 inch candles, before this separation brownish stuff shows up. The candles that I've poured before this "showup" seem fine, but then I'm not able to use the rest of the batch because of this floaty stuff. It will dissipate into the wax if it is stirred, but then start to separate out again if wax is left in the pot while I'm setting up moulds.
I've tried filtering this brownish gunk stuff out, to no avail! I've gone ahead and made candles from this wax and when the candles are burned, the floaty stuff is there
grrrrr. . Help Please :-(
I'm going to go Bald - pulling my hair out!!!!