JB 700 Vaporizer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JB 700 Vaporizer

My first go with this vaporizer was disappointing. The pan did not seem to get hot enough to vaporize the acid. It would bubble up and bridge over.
    I checked the pan temps with a infrared thermometer and found the temps were no where near those indicated by Hienz. The thermostat is placed directly above the heating element. Hienz suggested moving it to the side of the pan. When I did this things went a lot better. I was getting higher temps and the pan would be clean after use. The thermostat is still a problem as it would not cut in until it was reaching very low temps. This has to addressed yet.
    There were some comments about the electric cable mounting issues. I solved this by folding the cable back and clamping it to the housing.
    I would like to see the issue of fan maintenance addressed. Right now it would be next to impossible to change.
    It was suggested tha there be an issue with to much moisture in the acid. I dryed some acid to try. I found that it worked the same as the acid I did not. The key is having the pan getting hot enough and holding the temperature there to vaporize the acid.
    I did a little over 150 hives in about 3 hours yesterday. Our hives are wrapped for winter so this slowed thing down a lot.
    I made a different nozzle for the unit today. It should help with the wrapped hives so I will try it tomorrow

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: JB 700 Vaporizer

Did 2 more yards yesterday. No real issues. I am waiting on a thermostat that is being sent. We will see if it improves the cut in temps. The first yard had 48 hives and they are wrapped. I timed myself on that yard and it took 50 minutes to do the 48.

How much acid are you adding to the unit at a time? Heinz recommends 5gm per load. I have been using 10gms and have ended up with a white paste residue in the bowl that needs to be scraped out. I also get the bridging but I push it down with a hive tool and it continues to vaporize.

1 min/hive seems fairly reasonnable. Nothing fantastic but still manageable. Even with 1000 hives, that would mean all colonies could be treated in 2 days. This can be a good tool for those with a few hundred hives who don't have the budget to purchase a vmVaporizer.

We have similar issues that Cam describes with the vmVaporizer. If we try to speed up the process by putting large amounts of oxalic into the gun we end up slowing the process down. We are asking our equipment to work beyond it's capacity and the end result is slower. By overloading the gun, we end up with oxalic not getting burnt and we need to spend time to clean the gun. Sometimes you can be faster by slowing down. Work within the capacities of the equipment and all is fine, try pushing things and all hell brakes loose.

Jean-Marc

That's the nice part about treating late in the fall. No real push to get it all done yesterday

Agree with Ian. A nice feature of the jb 700 is that it is made of plastic. I have some 5 frame styrofoam nucs and the entrances are made by drilling a hole and inserting some pvc pipe. If the nozzle is not inserted in the jb 700 the area where the nozzle is suppose to fit will go around the entrance of the 5 frame nucs. It would make it relativly easy to treat those styrofoam without melting the styrofoam nuc when treating. I have not tried it yet, but it should work. We likely would have to "crack" the lid so the oxalic fumes could be blown into the nuc.

Jean-Marc

What are you guys using as a power source for the JB 700? I was told a battery would last hours before losing charge but mine lost power in the first yard. Not sure if the battery is still good.

I use a lawn tractor, drive it out back then move it between hive stands. It doesn't stay running long enough to put any apprciable charge back in between stands, but the battery has no problem starting the tractor after doing 20. The unit draws 12 amps when the heater is on, so even a little 8ah battery should last 20 minutes (half the 8ah) of heater on time.

What size battery are you using? Do you know how many amp hours (ah) it's rated?
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Really enjoying my JB 700...even with its issues.

I've modified the vent tube for my application (now can swivel)...and mounted a wood base to keep it perfectly level. This eliminates holding the unit by hand while vaporizing and loading.

I load the unit with 4 grams...first two grams are vaporized during the first hive treatment and coincides with the first warm-up/ cool-down cycle time. The second two grams are vaporized on the next two cycles (into the next hive)...just to give a bit more time to burn out the OA holding tray. Then I reload...first pushing down the bridged OA and then adding another 4 grams. It's adds a bit more bother but I really like what I see this time of year for mite drop. I just have to confirm that I am getting next to 90% of the mites during each treatment now as the hives should be broodless. And I suspect that 15% mite kill when doing each OA treatment with brood around could be accurate. Any thoughts?

Haven't tried stuffing 10 grams in...wouldn't there be a lot of scale bridging over the burner?

The sizing of the fan output gently puts the right amount of air pressure on the vapor to drive it into the hive.

I'm a little reluctant to change the location of the temperature sensor...i.e. heat the burner pan more. Right now there's a lot of OA crystals depositing on the piping...and likely in the hive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    How much acid are you adding to the unit at a time? Heinz recommends 5gm per load. I have been using 10gms and have ended up with a white paste residue in the bowl that needs to be scraped out. I also get the bridging but I push it down with a hive tool and it continues to vaporize.
    I am using a good 10 grams. Have you moved the thermostat to the side of the pan. My thermostat was originally at the beck of the pan right above the element. This would cause the heat to cut off before the pan got hot enough to vaporize the acid. Once I moved mine the pan was clean after every load. The thermostat is just clipped on. Use needle nose pliers to move it.

I have been using 2 deep cycle batteries I can get about 80 hives per battery.

I also modified the discharge pipe. Our hives are wrapped and the entrances are about a half inch. I bought a length of pipe and heated about 12 inches of it and pressed it flat so it could slip into the hive. I then cut a posse a plywood so it was 4 inches by 15 inches. Then I cut a slot in it so it would slide over the nozzle and come to a stop when it reaches the round portion of the pipe. I then put a thick piece of foam rubber on the plywood. The nozzle will now slide into the hive far enough it will hold itself in place and the foam seals the entrance keeping more of the vapour in the hive.

We have one of the styrofoam hives to try this year. The 700 worked real well with it.

Just a note about the glow plug. If it heats to over 210c it will burn out. I used an infrared thermometer to check the pan temps.

I am able to do about 250 a day now. Days are not that long now and those 5 yards are spread over about 80 kilometres so moving takes a good portion of the time. If they were in one location I think 500 would be doable.

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    Just a note about the glow plug. If it heats to over 210c it will burn out. I used an infrared thermometer to check the pan temps.
    Just asking but how did you arrive at this figure?
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Heinz told me there is a small black ring where the wire attaches to the glo plug. It will melt at 210 and the plug will then burn out.

250 seems reasonnable. You would do 500-600 including the driving with a vmVaporizer as would most others. The decision becomes, the value of your time vs the initial outlay of cash to get the downtown model.

Jean-Marc

Hi guys, I could do around 500 per day with measured 2 gram doses with my $10 home made vaporizer.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Hi guys, I could do around 500 per day with measured 2 gram doses with my $10 home made vaporizer.
    Johno
    Really�� 24 hours a day times 60 minutes gives you 1440 minutes in a day. Divided by the 500 you say you could do that gives you 2.88 minutes to per treatment, including set up movement, etc. and that's for a 24 hour day.

With a 5 minute set up, you could treat a hive per minute plus the time in seconds to move to the next hive. I don't know how many hives you would have in a single yard, maybe 500 is too many so I did not take into account moving to other yards but if they all in 1 yard it would be possible to do in around 12 hours. I do not do that many as my yards do not have more than 14 hives.
    Johno

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast