Noobie from Texas with a question about hive beetles

Default Noobie from Texas with a question about hive beetles

Hi Everyone!

My name is Aleta (pronounced aleeta). My husband and I just bought some hives and equipment. We thought we were getting 4 hives, but ended up with 2 live hives. We actually have already done a rescue of a swarm hive and placed that in a hive box. That was really very interesting. That hive to our delight has queen eggs and larvae and is thriving very well.

My husband did some beekeeping with FFA in his youth, I have never done anything with bees. We are both learning and are very excited to see what will become of our hives. We moved them to a new location and so far, so good.

We are having trouble with hive beetles. Is it possible to put Diatomaceous Earth in the beetle traps? We read that you can use lyme, but DE is a natural insect killer and less harmful to the environment. We use it for our chickens and livestock and for killing fire ant hills.

I am really excited about caring for our bees. It is so fascinating to watch them at work!

Thanks!

Aleta

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Noobie from Texas with a question about hive beetles

I am not sure about using DE in the trap as I've always used Lyme or vegetable oil. We have problems with beetles where I live and the single best thing you can do for them is put your hives in direct sunlight. Wherever they can get the most sun all day. It makes a tremendous difference. I've had no need to use beetle traps as long as I can keep hives strong and in sunlight. Also low moisture areas are better. Welcome to the forum

some people do substitute DE for the oil in a in-hive beetle trap. I use the DE on the solid bottom board underneath the screened bottom board. Keep it fresh and fluffy. For our part of VA, that means changing it almost weekly.

Welcome Aleta!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

DE is fine - I have used it in preference of oil for many years.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Welcome.

Yes, you can use DE. I like it better because it does not spill when moving traps and seems to be nearly as effective. I actually like a mixture of DE and hydrated lime. This seems to keep the traps from being smelly, and they work well.

My DE became hard as a rock and totally ineffective within a week. I attributed it to humidity. Mineral oil does a great job and doesn't get rancid.