Honey Labeling Requirements in Alabama

Default Honey Labeling Requirements in Alabama

I put a round sticker with a design on the top of a Mason jar for all honey I sell in the State of Alabama. I do not sell honey outside of Alabama. I have been told well over a dozen times that I do not have a proper label on my honey. Specifically, I have been told that I must state a name, address, phone number and/or email address and that I must state the correct weight of the honey on the label.

Alabama has a couple of statutes about honey labels. They all deal with differences between pure honey and honey mixtures. For instance, you cannot use the word "honey" on your label if you have mixed anything into the raw honey. I have found absolutely NOTHING in Alabama law that mandates that I place any identifying information on my label whatsoever.

Can anyone point me to any governing law or administrative action in Alabama that requires I place specific information on my honey labels? I would greatly appreciate it if you can.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey Labeling Requirements in Alabama

Try PMing some sideline to professional folks from AL directly as this question might not be seen by them.

In MO. all that's required is the respective weight, the name of the business, it's location (city & state) and a phone number for contacting. No idea of AL regulations but I'd bet it'll be something similar.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Foods produced for sale in Alabama that are considered "cottage foods" must have the operator's name and address on the label. See ...
    http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.../SB159-enr.pdf

... however, that regulation applies to ...
    23 a. Produces a baked good, a canned jam or jelly, or a dried herb or herb mix or a candy for sale at the person's home.

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.../SB159-enr.pdf
    Honey - that is not mixed with other substances - is not mentioned in that 'cottage foods' regulation, and it appears that name and address for Alabama produced and sold honey is not required. Some people may be assuming that honey is included in the cottage foods 'jams and jellies' rule, but that does not appear to be the case from what I have found.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I did a search and found a food processing regulation.
    RULES
    OF
    ALABAMA STATE BOARD OF HEALTH
    BUREAU OF ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES
    CHAPTER 420-3-20
    FOOD PROCESSING ESTABLISHMENT SANITATION

I searched it for "label" and found that they "adopt by reference" federal regulations.

Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 1 through 100

Specifically;
    [Code of Federal Regulations]
    [Title 21, Volume 2]
    [Revised as of April 1, 2016]
    [CITE: 21CFR101.5]

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
    CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
    DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
    SUBCHAPTER B--FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION
    PART 101 -- FOOD LABELING.

If you include weight, name of company/address/contact id, and possibly grade(colour?) you should be fine.
    They don't specifically list honey even though they have other sweetners listed.

Peter
    Ottawa. ON

psm1212, the same misunderstanding about labeling circulates among the beekeeping community up here as well.

you are correct, no label whatsoever is required by alabama state law on your honey.

if you choose to have a label, and have the word 'honey' on the label, the law requires that your product not be adulterated with any other substance. period.

the exception is if you choose to sell honey at certain farmer's markets, and if those farmer's markets have their own rules regarding labeling, then you may be bound by those rules.

i had a long talk with the dept. of ag. folks in montgomery about this very topic a few weeks back, and they confirmed everything i just posted here.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks squarepeg. That ends a year-long inquiry.

you're welcome. we sell all of our honey directly to the public and do not use any labeling.

the issue came up with the manager of a farmer's market we sell at, because the law does require labels on baked goods and other products. the call to montgomery settled the issue for us there.

honey that ends up on a grocery store shelf may be another matter. in that case the laws than govern the grocery store come into play and my understanding is that labels are required.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives