Wax Moth, SHB trap/remove

Default Wax Moth, SHB trap/remove

Hello,

Does anyone know how wax moth can be removed from hive this time of the year?
    The days are not warm, so I don't want to do inspection, but sticky board is suggesting that there can be a wax moth in the hive.

I had a SHB trap in my hives that I removed about 1-1.5 moths ago - they had 3-7 beetles in each trap (more in bottom deep and a few in top deep).
    For now I am nor sure if there are SHBs in the hives.

It looks the bees are working hard to clean the hives. I have the robbing screen in place and was suggested not to remove it, but the bees are struggling taking things out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax Moth, SHB trap/remove

Both edugan and I are currently dealing with ridding our hives of some wax moths.

See thread here:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Wax-moth-Feces

When you see wax moths you already have a big problem; potentially disastrous. You need to figure out why your hives got so weak that the moths invaded. It is the sign of much other worse problems.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Artur_M, Re robber screen, I have some #8 hardware cloth (bought from Ace HW and cut to size) wrapped around the hive front. It is attached with a short wood screw on each side. The bees can go over or under the screen. I folded the edges so that when the bees crawl over or under the edges, they don't get damaged.

I'm attaching some photos. The screen is loose enough that there is about 1/2" to 1" gap between it and the porch front. When the bees are cleaning out debris they can easily dump it over the edge of the porch or fly down carrying it. Now I have the bottom tipped up more than in the photo so they can land on the front edge of the porch and just run right up into the hive. It still keeps out a lot of would-be robbers.

Inside robber screen.jpg Robber Screen.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images