Crowd-Funding Migratory Study with UVM

Default Crowd-Funding Migratory Study with UVM

Attached on the bottom of this post is a link to a study proposed by Sam Alger, Leif Richardson and Zachary Lamas.

Hives that have never been taken to Almonds are being tested for viral composition before and after. Then upon return those hives are being set in an isolated hives with stationary colonies to see if post migratory contact will change the viral loads or composition of stationary hives. This study will be used as primary data for continued research on the topic.

Feel free to share. Sam is a phenomenal research and PhD candidate at UVM. Leif is working on his post Doc and part of the Vermont pollinator protection. I'm Zachary Lamas the commercial beekeeper working as the field technician: moving hives and collecting samples. We are able to carry out this study because one of my migratory friends will take 4 pallets of my bees to almonds for us. I simply give up all of the pollination money and in return we get hives that to California and back. We are still crowd funding. If you're interested, the link is bellow. Feel free to pass on, and also feel free to friend any of us on Facebook. We are all actively updating the project and movement of the hives. We have a couple great endorsements too.

https://experiment.com/projects/home...ey-bee-disease

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Crowd-Funding Migratory Study with UVM

This sounds like something interesting to study and know about. Best wishes.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 11-07-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post

This sounds like something interesting to study and know about. Best wishes.
    Thanks Mark. A lot of these hives are ending up in blueberries in NC. I think just north of you.
    Last edited by Sunday Farmer; 11-07-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Looks like it could be an interesting study. I look forward to hearing about the results. If you or someone else would like to present the results of the study to Beekeepers in NY, let me know and I'll see if I can get a time slot at the next Fall Meeting of the Empire State Honey Producers Association.

I noticed the endorsement by Michael Palmer. He's a great beekeeper. I like him a lot, for what that's worth.
    Mark Berninghausen

Mike speaks highly of Samantha in the endorsement. Her field and experimental research is great. Her or I would be happy to present at the Empire fall meeting.
    As we are doing this we are seeking side funding to catch and assay bumbles from isolated areas and directly off pollination fields since her research straddles viral transmission between honey bees and bumbles.

Not sure how much good this is going to do. Highly doubt there is more than a colony or two left in the US that has sat isolated farther than 5 miles away from any "unaffected" colonies or packages that has not been influenced within the last 5 years. Good luck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Not sure how much good this is going to do. Highly doubt there is more than a colony or two left in the US that has sat isolated farther than 5 miles away from any "unaffected" colonies or packages that has not been influenced within the last 5 years. Good luck!!!!
    Hey Honey,

I hear you. It would be extremely difficult to find yards isolated more than 5 miles from other yards. Samantha does the National Honey Bee Survey for Vermont. We have great background data on viral composition and loads for both stationary and migratory colonies. Fortunately how she does PCR viral analysis, we can quantify viral loads, not just wether they are present. Since so many packages and nucleus colonies are sold to the hobbyist market after Almonds, this project does have the potential to do a lot of good; both as preliminary data for future research and as an assessment of transference after the largest pollination event in the world.

Just an update. We recently were backed by the New Hampahire Beekeepers Association and the Vermont Beekeepers Association. The owners of Betterbee were also supportive and backed the project!
    We have 22 days left with the crowd funding to meet our goal. In about a month I'll start pollen sub and prepping hives for California. We're psyched to get donations even at the $5 and $10 level.