Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017 - Page 5
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017

Duplicate.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

i'm not sure david, but it appears that the plosone study was published prior to the discovery that different types dwv exist, some of which are more virulent than others, and with the less virulent form is showing up in mite 'tolerant' colonies.

so it may be not so much virus 'tolerance', but perhaps the colonies described as 'mite resistant' in the plosone study were dealing with high titres but of the less virulent dwv.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i'm not sure david, but it appears that the plosone study was published prior to the discovery that different types dwv exist, some of which are more virulent than others, and with the less virulent form is showing up in mite 'tolerant' colonies.

so it may be not so much virus 'tolerance', but perhaps the colonies described as 'mite resistant' in the plosone study were dealing with high titres but of the less virulent dwv.
    Yes, which shows the importance of selecting for successful biotic communities within entire colonies and not just queens. That may be able to be done practically with a non-treatment approach that includes requeening untreated colonies with high mite counts with new queens from untreated colonies with low mite counts. But there may have been some contribution to mite tolerance from the genetics of the old queen which will now be lost. Of course, that happens when a hive collapses, but at this point I'm admittedly more comfortable when nature elegantly makes the choice than when I clumsily do so. I felt it worth mentioning.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

it's a point well taken david. fortunately for you and i nature accomplished that elegant work before we arrived on the scene. given the importance that biota may be playing in our successes it could be that propagation of our stock would be better served with nuc production vs. just queens. it's also why i'd like to provide baton rouge with a couple of nucs instead of just shipping queens to them. perhaps they would be interested in studying some of your colonies as well.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I've checked on all my hives in the last couple of days. Twenty-three out of twenty-five have survived winter so far. Both losses were smaller hives, the second loss being a 4 x 4 medium nuc. All of the remaining hives have pollen coming in. Today, particularly, there was a steady flow of pollen, some yellow but mostly tan and off white. Our swarm season is still 49 days away, and I haven't seen the massive activity that comes with a good flow of nectar after the brood buildup. But there are already a variety of small flowers blooming in pastures and woodlots. I also noticed some Dutch clover on one stretch of road today.

nice report david. seeing very much the same here with lots pollen coming in to my 21 out of 22 winter survivors, although there are two not bringing in near as much as the rest. the color is mostly a dirty pale yellow (trees?) with an occasional brighter yellow (daffodils?). we are close to the same latitude but i may be at a higher elevation. swarming here starts more like mid to late april.

January showers bring February flowers.

with an occasional brighter yellow (daffodils?).
    I am seeing some nearly florescent yellow from some ornamental cherry trees around here. Also, there is just a bit of forsythia beginning to bloom.

I saw dozens of pear trees in full bloom today. Two more weeks will put cherry, plum, apple, and ornamentals in bloom. This is 3 to 4 weeks earlier than normal.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

We picked up our first swarm for the season from a swarm call today. This is a prime swarm, and it is not from one of our hives. I am grateful for drawn comb. We are now 23/25 for the winter, plus 1.
    Last edited by Riverderwent; 02-22-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Good stuff! How big was the swarm?
    Season 5. TF.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordak View Post
    Good stuff! How big was the swarm?
    Attachment 31061fullsizeoutput_6be.jpg

Good looking bunch of bees.
    Season 5. TF.

We did our first cutout of the year today. 40 pounds of honey. Lots of bees.

The swarm that we got on February 22 has a laying queen and brood.

does that put you back to 24 david?

does that put you back to 24 david?
    25 if the cutout from today gets established.

excellent. sorry if i missed it, but are you going to do any queen rearing this year?

excellent. sorry if i missed it, but are you going to do any queen rearing this year?
    Probably not other than OTS splits.

I'm planning to inspect hives tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast