Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017 - Page 28
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Default Re: Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Glad to hear that you came trough winter in good shape, and best of success to you this season.
    Thank you, Russ. More honey, more problems.
    David Matlock

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Small brood chambers (twenty-four medium frames), even (importantly) during the boom, high humidity, few inspections or intrusions below the queen excluder, no killing bees to sample for Varroa, frugal and disease resistant feral lineage, cedar boxes, foundationless frames (so natural cell size) in the brood chamber, no artificial requeening (other than pinching queens in aggressive colonies and letting the bees naturally requeen), year round small entrances (⅜" x 13ĺ"), no feeding, leaving sufficient honey all year (including during mid and late summer), no treatment, and reasonably sized beeyards. Low impact and efficient in terms of man hours, leave 'em bee-keeping. Has worked well for me. Your mileage will vary. You be you.
    David Matlock

Did a cutout today. New small colony. Got the queen. She's locked in with a queen excluder on the bottom and top. We intend to pull off the bottom excluder when they start bringing in pollen. Never gets old. We also moved three full sized production hives to a new nursery and sales yard tonight. Never gets easy.
    Last edited by Riverderwent; 03-28-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    David Matlock

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    Has worked well for me. Your mileage will vary. You be you.
    David:

Thank you for your contributions here on Beesource- I've learned a lot from you. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

I just ordered Swarm Commander. Don't judge me.
    David Matlock

I just ordered Swarm Commander. Don't judge me.
    Been trying to buy some for several years. My boss keeps vetoing the purchase as I have spent my hobby allowance already. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    Been trying to buy some for several years. My boss keeps vetoing the purchase as I have spent my hobby allowance already. Let us know how it goes.
    Tell tell the boss it is a long lasting air freshner. Spray a little in the house to prove it. Hope he/she likes a lemon scent. When the boss objects to the smell , say "well, I guess I could always use it as a swarm lure".
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Tell tell the boss it is a long lasting air freshner. Spray a little in the house to prove it. Hope he/she likes a lemon scent. When the boss objects to the smell , say "well, I guess I could always use it as a swarm lure".
    My boss likes the smell. Plus she has recently become reliant on beeswax skin products. Once they're hooked on beeswax and local honey, you get a bit more latitude.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    She. Definitely she.

I pulled three swarm traps with bees off of trees today.
    David Matlock

I pulled three swarm traps with bees off of trees today.

it's been consistently cool and wet up here on the ridgetop which i believe has held back swarming just a bit. i've managed to get my 4 traps set over the past few days.

i am optimistic about my chances with the upcoming warming trend. the few hives i've been into recently were just starting to backfill the tops of the broodnest with lots and lots of solid capped brood in them. i went ahead and artifically swarmed them.

(still have a few more to get into for their first spring inspections, will update my thread after having a look at those, fingers crossed no efb showing up so far!)

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i am optimistic about my chances with the upcoming warming trend. the few hives i've been into recently were just starting to backfill the tops of the broodnest with lots and lots of solid capped brood in them. i went ahead and artifically swarmed them.

(still have a few more to get into for their first spring inspections, will update my thread after having a look at those, fingers crossed no efb showing up so far!)
    There are a lot of folks that want you to have a good year, Squarepeg. I’m one of ‘em.
    David Matlock

Well, I rather optimistically put out a swarm trap, basically an empty deep with a medium full of comb on top. Lemongrass only. The scouts are checking it out, but this early I suspect they are looking for a free meal rather than a new home. It's on my front porch so I often check it from the front window.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    It's on my front porch so I often check it from the front window.
    Lol, easiest way. I tried this the other year (I don't have bees yet) thought that if I caught some, Great Free Bees, if not then when I am more ready. I am ready this year but will buy first then next year do the same thing, front of house area so easier to move
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    Lol, easiest way. I tried this the other year (I don't have bees yet) thought that if I caught some, Great Free Bees, if not then when I am more ready. I am ready this year but will buy first then next year do the same thing, front of house area so easier to move
    All my current bees are from one swarm that came to my front porch last May. That was a good day.

There are a lot of folks that want you to have a good year, Squarepeg. I’m one of ‘em.
    I too wish you all the best of success this year, Squarepeg. It's hard to keep a stiff upper lip around here without our fearless leader frequently posting his exploits.

Today I transferred the three colonies from swarm traps that I had moved yesterday. One of those swarms had overwintered in the swarm trap. They went into a regular hive, and I expect to harvest honey from them this year. The other two colonies were farm fresh. They were particularly big swarms and were building out quickly and stocking their larders.

One of those fresh colonies was caught in a trap that we had put up beside a new bee yard before we put any colonies there. I moved it at midday yesterday about forty feet to its new hivestand. No brush or reorientation obstacles in front of the entrance. The bees did not skip a beat. I did not leave a capture box at their original location because I think that confuses them. We will wait a few days to put another trap on the tree where that swarm trap had hung, but today we did set another trap on a cultivator not too far away. Iíll be curious to see if it will catch another swarm in the next week or so.
    David Matlock

We pulled seven more swarm traps with bees off of trees Wednesday and transferred them into nucs yesterday.
    David Matlock

nice!

We pulled seven more swarm traps with bees off of trees Wednesday and transferred them into nucs yesterday.
    Now that's impressive, David. Sounds like you've got your hands full down there.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Russ

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast