Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017 - Page 2
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017

A classical case of insomnia 41. And bees don't go to sleep, you know on
    the other post.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Bee management is like a flowing river, persistent and ever changing.

Big Grin Re: Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017

Nice work, David. Didn't see anumber for that. Between you, SP, & Dar, I'm gonna learn something! I've been overly in loved with my local bee group lately & it just seems that they push so hard for treatment that sometimes I have to wonder who's financing this group. But there are a few of of still working tf so all is not lost. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    Nice work, David. Didn't see anumber for that. Between you, SP, & Dar, I'm gonna learn something!

I've been overly in loved with my local bee group lately & it just seems that they push so hard for treatment that sometimes I have to wonder who's financing this group.
    I doubt that there is foul play afoot. They are most likely well meaning folks working and trying to help others from the context of what they know and what they have experienced. We all have difficulty knowing the current limits of our own perspective.
    David Matlock

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    In a couple of weeks, I plan to move some resources around and super the four frame nucs. I don't use sugar or syrup. This is my baseline for 2017.
    In the last few days, we have bottled the last of our honey and checked all the hives. I was a little surprised that we still have twenty-five colonies and they are doing well.

Three of the twenty-five colonies were from fall swarms. Two of those swarms were in small nucs -- single four frame medium depth boxes. The third fall swarm was in a swarm trap with seven medium frames. We transferred all three swarms into eight frame medium hives and added resources so that each of the swarms now has two eight frame medium boxes full of stores. We also moved around resources in the other twenty-two hives so that they each have plenty of honey for winter. Most of the twenty-five hives have three eight frame medium boxes. A few have either two or four boxes. All have good weight.
    David Matlock

The bees in two of our three yards were still bringing in a light colored pollen today.
    David Matlock

nice reporting there david, many thanks. i build up my starter colonies for wintering with resources from the established ones in the same way.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I knew what disease old pilots got: the flew. But beekeepers get the hives.
    David Matlock

David Matlock

hmm. obviously an infrared photo with the cluster centered in the second super and extending slightly into the supers above and below,

but what in the heck is causing the heat at the top gap?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

My poor carpentry and the bees' allowing the gap to remain for the time being for ventilation. A few bees were still flying today when I took pictures. This was with a Flir attachment and app on my phone. I was testing different camera settings.
    David Matlock

ahh! very cool (i mean warm) david.

I bet you've got some duct tape around there some where. Nice photo though. With you phone??

I re-read this Facebook post that I made last February: “Being supervised means that 911 gets called more quickly.” And I didn’t remember what I meant when I wrote it — until I read my comment below it: “Oh, it's not about me. It's just something I thought about yesterday while I was walking with a long metal pole underneath a power line on my way to get a swarm of bees from a gasoline pump without gloves or a veil.” True.
    David Matlock

According to this study: http://www.researchgate.net/publicat..._jacobsoni_Oud (referring to relative humidity in the brood area):

"When relative humidity (RH) was set at 59–68%, on average, 53% of the mites produced offspring (N=174 mites); under 79–85% RH, only 2% (N = 127) of the mites reproduced. The difference in mite fertility was highly significant."

In my location, for 90% of every day of year, the average highest relative humidity during the day is between about 88% and 100%. Likewise, on 90% of every day, the average low relative humidity is slightly below 50%. Here's a chart:

IMG_1602.JPG

Small changes in the reproductive success for varroa in conjunction with a few other variables could tip varroa levels to tolerable levels for some bees. Based on the above study of the effects of relative humidity, the ambient humidity in my area in conjunction with other factors such as using feral survivor bees and allowing brood breaks by not feeding during dearths, may be enough to tip the scale to allow bee colonies to maintain sublethal levels of varroa.
    David Matlock

On the idea of placing bees and expecting them to "Feed You". IF I where to put cattle to a pasture. there would first be a lot of evaluation of that pasture. basically is it adequate and healthy. Is there everything the cattle will need. What measures do you take to evaluate the bees ability to feed anyone in any particular location or numbers. IN regard to numbers. how do you evaluate how many hives can produce in a location as apposed to another. I know with other animals you can fairly well tell how many head can be placed in any given location. Any such evaluation for bee colonies?
    Part of the reason I ask is that this method seems to be prone to blaming bees for things the keeper failed to do. put cattle in a pasture with no water and then call the cattle inferior when they die of thirst sort of effect. So I am seriously wondering what measures are taken to evaluate the environment and what potential that environment even offers for production.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Daniel, you've jumped right to the nut of the thing. You might look at three variables, 1) area, 2) methods, and 3) capacity, and say, "I have these twenty acres, and I want to raise 100 head of cattle. How do I do it?" In that case, it is the method that varies. Or you might say, "I have these twenty acres and I want to raise cattle by rotational grazing. How many cattle can I raise?" In that instance, the capacity varies. (This is obviously a kind of gross over simplification for purposes of discussion.)

Looking at the question of how much honey could I make in a particular bee yard using treatment free methods without routine feeding, I would look at, among other things, local land use, annual cycles of forage availability, and the density and productivity of existing hives in that area compared to the density and productivity of hives in similar areas. Where I am, fifteen miles can make a large difference in productivity. And for me at least, it's hard to really know until you try. The calculations are complicated (and made even more so by varying levels of risk associated with different scales of operation, purposes, resource availability, and even personal risk aversion). In my circumstances, I would just scale up as I climb the learning curve. I doubt that what I've said helps you much, but that's how I'd look at it.
    David Matlock

Thanks, actually helps more than you might think. I have been surprised by a location or two though. both for the good and bad. Plus it seems the target moves.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Plus it seems the target moves.
    The landscape is dynamic. But, over time, managed bees can actually increase the number of bee friendly plants in their range. Bees pollinate what they like, and what they pollinate spreads.
    David Matlock

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast