miniture beehive with frames and super? Where can I buy?

Default miniture beehive with frames and super? Where can I buy?

A few years ago I saw one of these and now I'm not sure if it was at a bee supply store, or maybe some handy woodworker made it? If anyone knows of a bee supply store that might carry something like this? It could be used either for decoration or teaching. I know about the teaching hive with photo frames, but I want a mini of a regular 10 frame (with super if possible). I also plan to get a medium Ulster in this month's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale for teaching. But that mini hive, I've never forgotten how cool that was.
    Thanks.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: miniture beehive with frames and super? Where can I buy?

A few basic woodworking skills with a few tools and you can make almost anything. I supered my matning nucs this fall that use half sized deep frames.
    These were some of the first mating nucs I made using a glass front, inspired by some German designs. Glass was from the Dollar Tree. It was actually a small tempered cutting board, but the size was perfect.

PA180444.jpg

P9280188.jpg

P5281576.jpg

DSC06657.jpg

I just cut the frames at 9 1/4" and remilled one end of the top and bottom bars using a miter saw and router table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Here's how they looked when they were new

By hanging on the fence I keep my back from getting sore due to bending over all day. Would be great for handicapped folks, elderly use, use in areas that might otherwise restrict a full sized hive (within city limits, etc) or teaching usage.

I also divided standard five frame nucs and do the same thing

Attached Images Attached Images
    Lauri Miller.

Well, that looks cool. What did you use on that wood?

DSC07791.JPG
    I burn it with a propane torch to bring out the grain, roll with dark walnut stain. then a couple coats of marine grade gloss Spar urethane. Photo above shows nuc box's that were burned first, and the hives behind with just stain and urethane You can see how the burning step brings out the grain and brings out a deeper luster.

Below-Hive on the right is dark walnut stain and urethane.

DSC07707.JPG

If you just burn it and roll with urethane as shown below, it will eventually fade from UV rays. Adding the soaking of stain really helps retain the finish.

DSC05903.JPG

Below: transport cages are burned and rubbed with a mix of linseed oil and bees wax. The finish is dull and I don't let these set out in the rain all season, just on occasion. They are easy to refinish, just go over them with the torch and reapply your paste.

P2180001.jpg
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-05-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Lauri Miller.

Try Brushy Mountain. We have had one for years. Take it to most of the shows we attend and it is really a good teaching tool!

That was a ridiculously awesome helpful post. Thank you for sharing how you got the grains to pop like that. Looks awesome. May try some spar like that too. Dang. Thanks again.
    Last edited by HoneyMonk; 11-05-2016 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Grammar errors

Beautiful hives!

Simson bee supply had one on their table today for sale.$ 65 or 75.00 at OSBA meeting

Thumbs Up Re: miniture beehive with frames and super? Where can I buy?

Velbert Wms made some of these for me:

IMG_0322.jpg

They hold four half frames. He makes a super and feeder as well. Works great for instruction. Kids of all ages love them.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    A few years ago I saw one of these and now I'm not sure if it was at a bee supply store, or maybe some handy woodworker made it? If anyone knows of a bee supply store that might carry something like this? It could be used either for decoration or teaching. I know about the teaching hive with photo frames, but I want a mini of a regular 10 frame (with super if possible).
    www.betterbee.com/gifts/mhive1-mini-hive.asp
    David Matlock

Lauri, those are incredibly beautiful! The only tools I own are the basic hand tools, a drill, and a hand held saw. I would ask my carpenter sweetie but he has projects that have him tied up for quite awhile. Still, I am going to save what you wrote and the pics and maybe someday he can make some for me. Thank you.

Rivererwent, that's exactly where I saw them. I had checked 4 other supply catalogues, and did not think about Betterbee. I'm ordering tomorrow. Thank you! (unless Betterbee does holiday specials, like free shipping? I need to check on that.)
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by candlaman View Post
    Try Brushy Mountain. We have had one for years. Take it to most of the shows we attend and it is really a good teaching tool!
    That's where I'm getting the medium ulster from. I want both hives at this time. Thank you, and thanks to everyone who replied.

I made a scaled hive years ago to take with me when I would do bee talks at my kids school. It's around a 2/3rds scale. Measures 10-3/4" wide by 13-1/4" deep. Much smaller than this and you would have a very difficult time making all the frame parts and still have real bees work the hive to build comb. But it's not for sale.

Last edited by Barry; 11-06-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Regards, Barry

Pretty cool Barry usable also I like that!

Over the years we have made them during the slower times of our standard woodenware production but it has been a while (things don't seem to slow down anymore). This is a photo of a set we made a couple years ago now with brood boxes only but this set wasn't true to scale as they were made to serve as the corner tent weights for a farmer's market honey tent. When we make true to scale versions we make frames which are smaller versions of our mini mating nuc frames. The true to scale versions work nice for table top demonstrations of various hive manipulations, etc. without having to cart around full size equipment.

20150613_115834.jpg
    Rich
    Capital Bee Supply
    Manufacturers and Purveyors of Fine Beekeeping Equipment
    www.capitalbeesupply.com

My wife has one of these from Brushy, it causes folks to stop by and ask questions when brought to any farmers market!

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/MGH/

Quote Originally Posted by capitalbeesupply View Post
    Over the years we have made them during the slower times of our standard woodenware production but it has been a while (things don't seem to slow down anymore). This is a photo of a set we made a couple years ago now with brood boxes only but this set wasn't true to scale as they were made to serve as the corner tent weights for a farmer's market honey tent. When we make true to scale versions we make frames which are smaller versions of our mini mating nuc frames. The true to scale versions work nice for table top demonstrations of various hive manipulations, etc. without having to cart around full size equipment.

20150613_115834.jpg
    Rich
    Capital Bee Supply
    Very nice! I ordered the Betterbee mini hive, and it does come with mini frames. I prefer that.
    Mike, I like Brushy's but again, it has no frames. I didn't know about the one you put the link in and it also is adorable, the garden lid in particular. I would have been torn and indecisive had I seen it before I ordered from Betterbee.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalbeesupply View Post

20150613_115834.jpg
    Rich
    Capital Bee Supply
    Gorgeous! Thanks for posting. I saved your photo for referral for a future project.
    I'm a tight wad and even I would shell out $$ for those beauties
    Lauri Miller.