Smile or Frown when bees referred to as "Girls"?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Smile or Frown when bees referred to as "Girls"?

It there any underlying significance in the choice either by the speaker or the listener?
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Smile or Frown when bees referred to as "Girls"?

It demonstrates an understanding that 90 percent or more of the hive population is female. The assumption is they are male in my experience.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

We have goats, chickens, ducks, geese and horses along with cats and dogs. We refer to them as kids.
    4a

I like to jokingly call the bees, my girls, to certain friends of mine, or when making jokes about only the females stinging, etc. In reality, they are livestock, they are not my pets, they are fascinating, but I do not give them human characteristics!
    It is a tall, right handed, world! I am neither!!!!

Sometimes I accidentally refer to mine as girls but we have chickens (all hens), a female dog, and I live with my wife and daughter. The only other male here is a cat. I say accidentally refer because I try to refer to them as bugs so our neighbors don't get freaked out. I'm not hiding them but I don't advertise either.

Nope. They are not "girls"! They are bugs in a box. I just happen to LIKE the bugs in my box.

(From the closet 9-year-old I really am!)

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

I am different, I call mine guys, then they get a new name when they sting me.

I do it more to be tacky to people that call them girls.

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.
    Bee management is like a flowing river, persistent and ever changing.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    It there any underlying significance in the choice either by the speaker or the listener?

How about the underlying significance of your questions?

Female is not unique to the human species. Thinking humans are unique or special is probably unique to humans.

maybe crofter has discovered some novel gender in honeybees. Or should we refer to them as ladies or women. I do not refer to them as girls but whatever pronoun you like is fine. Luckily in america we still have freedom to use whatever pronouns we like still.

Not on some college campuses you don't.

Bugs...
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

When they sting me (I learned the thing Palmer said about opening a hive too close to dark one memorable day), more canine attributions come to mind, as does the lack of documentation on the queen/drone relationship.

That's about as anthropomorphic as I get on the topic. But "girls" is humorous and technically applicable, so I usually smile inside. But sometimes I'm outside.

Michael

I always think it a bit soft headed myself. They are as female as a castrated bullock is masculine. As my just learning to speak grandson said,"Ridicweous!"

Sometimes when I'm looking thru the hole of the inner cover of a known twitchy hive, I'll ask "girls, you gonna play nice today?", otherwise it's bees or bugs. I've had poeple pick up nucs and get all gushy over the "girls" and mentally roll my eyes.
    After all, most of em are women and most of the women I know (and have known), you don't want to push their button.

Personally I feel something a bit negative about anthropomorphism; not just in relation to bees, but animals in general. Something about the Disneyworld personification that is reality distorting as a model for children and grownups.

I am curious about whether there would be different distinctive groups who would be turned on or turned off by those terms, and why.

Mine are bees, except when they have outwitted or amazed me, then they become "bugs"!
    Frank

In another part of my life, I am a volunteer zookeeper; we also keep bees there, and anthropomorphism is a big issue. For our urban clientele, the only exposure to an animal may be through a Disney movie! An important part of our work is teaching people the differences between and among different animals and humans. If I hear another person singing and dancing to "I Like to Move It, Move It" to the lemurs, I may hit them! Still, all of our animals have names, we call them by name, and we recognize that they have emotions and feelings, albeit based on different things than ours. And we care deeply about our animals. I do speak to my bees as I work them (obviously more for my sake than theirs), I call them ladies, and I do name my queens. But I never confuse their needs and motivations with mine. So, calling bees (or any other animal) by name can reflect caring, concern, and distinguishing them. It can also reflect ignorance, romanticism, or anthropomorphism. It depends who's doing it and why.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Personally I feel something a bit negative about anthropomorphism; not just in relation to bees, but animals in general. Something about the Disneyworld personification that is reality distorting as a model for children and grownups.

I am curious about whether there would be different distinctive groups who would be turned on or turned off by those terms, and why.

Mine are bees, except when they have outwitted or amazed me, then they become "bugs"!
    Precisely my view, Crofter. Well spoken.
    With me, they are 'bees', until I get stung, at which time my reference is not complimentary to the female sex, and usually spelled in family forums using non-alphabetic characters.

I fall into the grumpy old codger category, and the all-too-cute anthropomorphism of "girls" makes my skin crawl.
    I never heard the term until I dipped my toe into the internet where the faddish chatter of naive, guillible newbees dominates.
    I associate it with first year beeks in shining white uniforms and sparkling clean smokers bending over their brightly decorated flowery eight frame mediums wondering why their foundationless comb is cattywampus and their bees have crinkled crepe wings instead of clear straight ones.

I'm with JW. I have a lot of work ahead to overpaint these boxes I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    I fall into the grumpy old codger category, and the all-too-cute anthropomorphism of "girls" makes my skin crawl.
    I never heard the term until I dipped my toe into the internet where the faddish chatter of naive, guillible newbees dominates.
    I associate it with first year beeks in shining white uniforms and sparkling clean smokers bending over their brightly decorated flowery eight frame mediums wondering why their foundationless comb is cattywampus and their bees have crinkled crepe wings instead of clear straight ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast