Making a living with bees - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Making a living with bees

To answer the ? to way beekeeper buy honey. It is simple. To keep their customers happy. Even through for some reason they didn't produce enough honey that year. If you get big enough that you supply a couple markets or health store. You will do what ever it take to keep them happy with in reason. Ron does that. I bet he sell more as a pallet load than a couple buckets at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds View Post
    LOL---You already know the answer to that question! I personally don't know many commercial beekeepers that intend to tell others what they are averaging. I sure wouldnt advertise 158# avg unless that state has laws regarding registration and distance between sites.
    There are 4 kinds of beekeepers. #1 Those that tend to overstate (either fuzzy math or exaggeration). #2. Those that tend to understate (territory protection mostly or perhaps an IRS angle). #3. Those that never say anything. and #4. Those that are completely honest and transparent about everything. The trick is trying to figure out who is who....if you really even care.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    There are 4 kinds of beekeepers. #1 Those that tend to overstate (either fuzzy math or exaggeration). #2. Those that tend to understate (territory protection mostly or perhaps an IRS angle). #3. Those that never say anything. and #4. Those that are completely honest and transparent about everything. The trick is trying to figure out who is who....if you really even care.

LOL that is best I've read in awhile. I'm sitting here thinking of the people I know in each category!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    I retail over 100 pound of propolis a year too
    Ron I am interested in your methods for moving soo much propolis every year?

Thumbs Up Re: Making a living with bees

All the propolis I sell is from my box scraping. Many say why not traps? I look at propolis as a by product, not as a production.
    I don't use frame spacers, so to make the job easier you have to scrap the propolis. Scrapings have to washed, dried, cleaned and they package before marketing. Avg. time per pound for cleaning and packaging is about an hour. So it comes down to what is your time worth. Wholesale price right now for propolis $35-40 a pound and retail is from $16 an oz to $60 a pound. Really not bad money for a by product.

Like any business it take time to find the customers to move your product to, but as long as you have a premium product your customers keep coming back.

Honey Householder
    Can you explain your procedures for washing and prepping the propolis?

ron, can you share your method for protecting those hundreds of boxes of drawn comb after the bees have been shaken out?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBee View Post
    Honey Householder
    Can you explain your procedures for washing and prepping the propolis?
    Agreed, I'd like to know this as well!

When we shake we leave about 10% of the bees to hack the brood out. With in a week you have more then enough bees to take care of you brood boxes, and this is the north in mid to late Sept. Really no problem with comb lost. I store all my honey super in the yard too.

understood ron, sounds like the hacked out brood protects the comb until freezing temps, very cool.

i believe you have a pretty neat model there of how to maximize profitability and minimize risk with a stationary operation, way to go.

and thanks for the transparency, it will be my turn here in the next few weeks when the final tally comes in.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234