3D printing comb article

Default 3D printing comb article

Article on 3D printing comb, possibly using real wax. Fascinating possibilities.

https://3dprint.com/113066/3d-printe...ampaign=buffer

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 3D printing comb article

my issue with this, is this statement here:

"Without having to spend that time building the comb, the bees can focus a lot more of their energy on their most important task – pollination, which is so vital to humans and our production of food."

For starters, the foragers don't build comb the young house bees do, and they don't just graduate early if there is no need for it, they basically sit around un employed and when you get to many of them un employed......they swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    my issue with this, is this statement here:

"Without having to spend that time building the comb, the bees can focus a lot more of their energy on their most important task – pollination, which is so vital to humans and our production of food."

For starters, the foragers don't build comb the young house bees do, and they don't just graduate early if there is no need for it, they basically sit around un employed and when you get to many of them un employed......they swarm.
    You are absolutely spot on Harley. Leave it to humans to come up with asinine ideas. 3D printed comb is one of them. The other problem with this is the idea that the function of bees is pollination. Pollination does not help bees in the least. They collect pollen and nectar but they don't care about pollination. 3D print some drones (not bee drones) to pollinate the almonds and leave the bees alone.

Yes, the article inaccuracies aside, I could see how 3-D wax printed frames might be helpful with jumpstarting packages or nucs. Maybe instead of just option of wax coated plastic frames in the future, there might be 3D printed comb option too?

I was mostly fascinated by the fact that you might could run wax through the printer. Can't do that with my base model

Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    ...might be helpful with jumpstarting packages or nude.
    3D printers or not... I'm not beekeeping in the nude!
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

Haha

Sounds like a cool idea to me. I understand what you are saying with swarming but for splits and multiply colonies quickly especially in the north where growing seasons are short. I dont really live in the north but i could see some uses.

I can't wait until the Chinese pick up on this and start mass producing drawn frames with wax that they made from.....
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

Quote Originally Posted by SS Auck View Post
    Sounds like a cool idea to me. I understand what you are saying with swarming but for splits and multiply colonies quickly especially in the north where growing seasons are short. I don't really live in the north but i could see some uses.
    Yep agreed, Being pretty far North the idea of speeding up a package/nuc build up before winter is intriguing to me. Experienced beeks are always talking about how valuable it is to have some spare drawn frames. Newbies might benefit from the ability to buy fully drawn 3D printed comb/frames... all just a far off idea to ponder at this point.

yeah not sure I would buy from just anyone. Not a huge fan of candle making and always seem to have excess wax on hand. I bet this could someday increase the demand of beeswax. Not to make any money but just better than tossing it or storing forever. I gave up on profit long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Auck View Post
    Sounds like a cool idea to me. I understand what you are saying with swarming but for splits and multiply colonies quickly especially in the north where growing seasons are short. I dont really live in the north but i could see some uses.
    oh no doubt it would have benifits, drawn comb, even if ratty and misaligned that the bees need to do minor repair is worth it's weight in gold especially for those up noth, but it's not going to help them the way they claim it will, that is just pulling at heart strings for funding purposes I'm sure.

I don't know, I see 3D printing as a big fad that is used all over the place, sorta like the CEO's that learn a new 'word' and have to use it everywhere to sound important. If I wanted to make frames of wax for the bees instead of plastic, why not make a simple metal form and melt wax onto it, then heat the metal slightly and release the wax? Wouldn't that be cheaper and faster and not much different than forming a plastic frame? Yes, the metal form would be a bit expensive to produce at first, but highly repetitive (think automation, much faster than a custom 3d print every time) and much more accurate. Maybe they want it 'fully drawn out', so instead of getting a roller embosser system to make foundation like we do now, you make a flat plate form instead which would be a big slower but allow it to be fully drawn. With a little thinking you could even form them directly into the wood frames. I always love an engineering challenge but 3d printers are just toys that are good for doing one off's.

Don't forget we can already buy fully drawn plastic frames, the equipment for making them wouldn't be far off from making a wax version except that it would be more fragile to ship.

(sorry for first post rant, but this thread got me to stop lurking)

3D printing is fancy word these days. The whole article is full of miscommunication. In principle, yes, it is possible to 3D print honey comb, but it it is very slow process. On commercially available printer, it would take at least 24 hours to print something imitating plastic foundation (not frame, not entire comb) - I think wax mill is much-much more efficient to create the foundation. Printing usable entire comb is in big question - it would require a high-resolution super-duper printer, which cost $100K! Regular, $2K 3D printer does not have enough resolution for such kind of job. I happen to have a regular 3D printer - it is a cool toy. I used to print all kinds of household items mainly to repair something until it conveniently broke as warranty expires
    For instance, I have printed a bunch of snow-flakes for Christmas... replacement for broken plastic part for refrigerator (most useful so far), all kinds of holders, stuff for my work... it is really fun, but slow!
    Last edited by cerezha; 10-26-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

sigh.... Yes most people that you read about in the news that speak of beekeeping or the state of bees have little knowledge it seems of beekeeping or (Im afraid this is more likely the case) they are trying to make money off a lie.
    as far as cost of the printer it is high now but who knows what the future holds. Im still sort of young. I could see things we never thought would exist in the not so distant future. No one saw smart phones coming now everyone seems to have one.

You never know how the technology will progress. I would be really interested if I could use my own wax to supplement the comb the bees are making. If you could throw in drawn comb in certain situations, that would be great.