Still OAV

Thread: Still OAV

Default Still OAV

Hi all. I have been taking advantage of the warm days here in northwest indiana and have been treating my hive. I still am getting mites dead in the hundreds even a few white ones witch are males. My last treatment I got 228 mites. Saturday is going to be in the 70es so I'm going for one more. The high mite count is disturbing witch I would think all the drons were kicked out.

When do I stop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Still OAV

I'm in the middle of another four treatments of OAV. My production hives are roughly equal in size and population. It is interesting to me that some hives have a lot of mites falling (several hundred), others have not as many (100 or less).
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I was doing my last treatment...and removed the entrance reducer...and it seemed like 100's and 100's all piled up against the back of the reducer.....took hive tool and scrapped them off.....

it is killing them!!!!!!....but is one treatment not enough?...for fall that is.....or are we in a regiment of treat......
    check counts....if still high...treat again........

good grief!...is this where we are at?

Quote Originally Posted by AthensM50 View Post
    I was doing my last treatment...and removed the entrance reducer...and it seemed like 100's and 100's all piled up against the back of the reducer.....took hive tool and scrapped them off.....

it is killing them!!!!!!....but is one treatment not enough?...for fall that is.....or are we in a regiment of treat......

good grief!...is this where we are at?
    Unless your hives are broodless one treatment will never be enough. I just did a round of 5 treatments anywhere from 5 to 7 days apart. My mite fall for my last treatment was less than 20 on all hives and most less than 15.

Quote Originally Posted by stanton21 View Post

When do I stop?
    Immediately.

Ya I'll just keep doing it till it get cold out. Right now it's raining.5 to 7 days apart is what I have been doing weather permitting. Did the honey bee make the endangered species list?

Thanks

Thanks for the input mcon. I did four treatments as I posted earlier in august. Recent sugar rolls showed high mite count. I'm at it again and not stopping til they are as low as yours. I sure hope 4-5 will do it