Fire and bees
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire and bees

Default Fire and bees

Ok, so I'm getting ready to tear down my old house and burn it, The location of the burn site is going to be about 90 ft down wind ( should be this time of yr anyways) from the closest hive. I plan to do this at night so bees wont be flying through the smoke and heat, but was wondering if the light given off will cause them to try to go forrage and head for the light? it's been getting down to high 30's low 40's at night so I'm hoping that will be cool enough to discourage them from leaving. I also plan to put the spoil pile from the hole I plan to burn in, between the pit and the bees to help block some of the direct light. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fire and bees

if you are worried shut them with #8 screen so they don't fly out into the fire.

my fire pit is 20 ft from the hives and I have fires at night every week or 2, have no problems with bees flying out.

100_0011.jpg

100_0012.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    if you are worried shut them with #8 screen so they don't fly out into the fire.

my fire pit is 20 ft from the hives and I have fires at night every week or 2, have no problems with bees flying out.

100_0011.jpg

100_0012.jpg

this think will be bright enough to shut off my pole light I'd bet LOL I'll keep that in mind, thought about just tossing some dark sheets over to block out any light.

If you're not on a set schedule I would check underground weather for the wind patterns and plan it for when the wind is not blowing into the hives. Depending on what's left in the house there can be all kinds of toxic stuff.

This time of the year the wind can come from any direction.

https://www.wunderground.com/

You might lean a bottom board or lid in front of the hives to keep the light from going in directly.

yeah on a pretty set schedule, through the day the wind patterns shift often, but they almost always come out of the NW by late eve here. We are planning this for Nov 11th

is it legal for you guys to burn at night? On my farm here in Oregon we can only burn during the day, yet our pit flames all night.
    we have it going all winter as long as the rains don't put it out.
    In AZ my fire pit is 20ft x 5ft and we have massive bon fires each week till burn season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    is it legal for you guys to burn at night?
    not really sure, and the fine if any would be less than the cost of paying someone else to haul it off. I will however notify the fire dept that I plan to do a sizable burn so they don't get any false calls, I have previously asked them if they wanted to burn it for training purposes, but they told me they are no longer allowed to do that.

yep, we have to get burn permits in AZ and then have to call the FD and notify, keep a burn log and turn it in every year.
    much easier in OR I just dedicated a section of the property way out by the canal and set it and drag everything out there with the tractor, it's been non stop now for 3 winters. organic waste to the compost and wood waste to the burn pile

I would be more worried about the heat. 90 feet from a house fire is not very far. House fires produce incredible heat.

Quote Originally Posted by moebees View Post
    I would be more worried about the heat. 90 feet from a house fire is not very far. House fires produce incredible heat.
    it wont all go at once, it will be large, but not that big as it burns down more will be knocked into the pit.

Harley
    I haven't got many bees and I have never really thought about it but I burn stuff four or five or more times a year. My fires are not as big as a whole house but are not little either. I have a saw mill with quite a bit of waste and have been building a shed and had lots of waste not counting the tree trimming and such. My hive are a little further away like maby 150 feet. I never worry about the wind and it hasn't seemed to stop the bees from my garden even while smoke was going that way and my garden is really close to where I burn. I never even worried about it. I will say to the heat of fire that I did warp some vinal siding on a house once when I didn't think that was even possible, I can't beleive the sun doesn't warp vinal siding.

Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

In Missouri I am pretty sure it's not legal to burn anything except for bare wood from a tear down. You can't bury anything either except rock or concrete, etc. That's probably why fire departments don't use them for practice anymore.

What kind of siding is on the house?

Can you make swarm traps with it?

50 of mine are made from old house siding.

Please post picture of burning house

Harley we wanted to burn an old potato cellar. It had nothing in it except nails wood and straw. DEQ said absolutely not, no way , no how. Burning it at night they will be on you for sure. We complained about the cost of tearing it down and hauling it away. They could not have cared less. Good Luck.
    The state may not care, but the regulations are federal.

Yes officer, I put that letter under that two tons of trash.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burrup View Post
    Harley we wanted to burn an old potato cellar. It had nothing in it except nails wood and straw. DEQ said absolutely not, no way , no how. Burning it at night they will be on you for sure. We complained about the cost of tearing it down and hauling it away. They could not have cared less. Good Luck.
    The state may not care, but the regulations are federal.
    The DEQ is a state agency. The EPA is the feds and I don't see them getting involved unless you are on BLM land.

https://www.deq.idaho.gov/air-quality/burning/

https://www.deq.idaho.gov/media/3476...oster_0510.pdf
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I stand corrected. DEQ is state not federal and my experience has no bearing on Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    What kind of siding is on the house?

Can you make swarm traps with it?

50 of mine are made from old house siding.
    Alluminum lol

For those worried about the law, I burnt the old delapadated chicken barn while it was still standing but that was before I had bees, could see the smoke plume miles away ....not a thing was said, one of the many perks of living in rural redneckville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast