Bees at a Nursery

Default Bees at a Nursery

My uncle owns a pretty big nursery, growing trees, flowers, plantings, etc in Ohio. I brought up the fact that I started raising bees and that they could pollinate his stock, and he said I could raise them on his nursery.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea? As long as they don't spray all plants with insecticides, are there any issues you see with this? Curious to see if anyone else is located on a nursery

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees at a Nursery

Pesticides are one concern.

Bees forage a two plus mile radius, a bunch of trees in one area of that probably won't effect the bees one way or an other. Does the nursery control the weeds? Weeds are just as important to the bees if not more than trees.

How far away is it, can you still properly manage them?

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Pesticides are one concern.

Bees forage a two plus mile radius, a bunch of trees in one area of that probably won't effect the bees one way or an other. Does the nursery control the weeds? Weeds are just as important to the bees if not more than trees.

How far away is it, can you still properly manage them?
    The nursery is right down the street, so very ideal for me. There are still homes around the nursery so weeds will be present, but most plants at the nursery are in planting buckets embedded in rocks i believe, so not a lot of weeds there.

>is right down the street, so very ideal for me.

pesticides? It is retail? Can you keep them far enough away from customers.

I would paint them camouflaged colors, never a good idea for anyone to see them.

We have lots of beekeepers in the same neighborhood as the retail garden center that I work for. It's always fun to see the bees pollinating the flowers at the garden center. Now I have monthly classes to teach gardeners how to become backyard beekeepers. It works very well for our area, and we've even had a couple of swarms come through and land on the fruit trees. Now I keep a swarm box in the area to lure any swarms to that instead of the sales area.

We have not had any customer complaints, and because they are "not our bees", there wouldn't be much we would do about it anyway, if there was a complaint. Very little spraying happens at a retail garden center. At a production facility, that is a whole 'nother ball game. Definitely check with the uncle about any kind of spraying before you decide to put hives there.

Does he produce all his own stock or ship in. Some varieties come injected with neonicotinoids and they are deadly.

i'd make sure your set up is secluded away from customers and workers. also that your setup can be moved overnight when one of his largest richest customers sees the hives then freaks and says she won't be back again. when bees get hungry they get into trouble.
    Terrence

I do lawn and landscape work on the side..Most plants I purchase from nurseries have a warning on the tag about being treated with neonicotinoids. I'd rather have bees in hives more focused on native plants vs. agricultural plants or commercially raised, genetically engineered, and chemically treated plants. Hope it works well though if you get the chance to do it.

Keep the bees at your house. "Just up the street" is nothing for a bee, they'll find the nursery. Your uncle doesn't know where the bees come from nor do you, if confronted.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    >is right down the street, so very ideal for me.

pesticides? It is retail? Can you keep them far enough away from customers.

I would paint them camouflaged colors, never a good idea for anyone to see them.
    Its not that type of nursery - Distributors only. I would have to worry about their workforce though

Quote Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
    I do lawn and landscape work on the side..Most plants I purchase from nurseries have a warning on the tag about being treated with neonicotinoids. I'd rather have bees in hives more focused on native plants vs. agricultural plants or commercially raised, genetically engineered, and chemically treated plants. Hope it works well though if you get the chance to do it.
    Thanks - This is the kind of stuff I was worried about

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Keep the bees at your house. "Just up the street" is nothing for a bee, they'll find the nursery. Your uncle doesn't know where the bees come from nor do you, if confronted.
    Bill
    I cant have bees, made the poor decision of getting a house with an HOA. They are currently at my moms. I was thinking - 2 hives at moms, 2 hives at the nursery.... But with the comments above I probably will avoid the nursery if they use chemicals (which I am sure is common with all nurseries)

Quote Originally Posted by moebees View Post
    Does he produce all his own stock or ship in. Some varieties come injected with neonicotinoids and they are deadly.
    Not trying to start a DW contest on someone else's thread, but I got a few thousand acres of Neonicitinoid soybean around my hives every yr that provide for one of my biggest honey flows that tell me otherwise, what evidence do you have that a few nursery plants are deadly to bees?

They have no evidence, just they buy into the hype... they're not even injected, they're seed coat treatments which help keep the plants healthy at a young age, and don't provide lethal doses via pollen and nectar.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    They have no evidence, just they buy into the hype... they're not even injected, they're seed coat treatments which help keep the plants healthy at a young age, and don't provide lethal doses via pollen and nectar.
    Many nurseries here add it to water and the neonic is taken up by the plant with the water.
    Can't say I've lost bees because of it but lots of others around here swear that their bees died because of it.
    One of my best yards is one I took over because the last beekeeper claimed the environment wasn't suitable for bees given all the 'chemical' sprays and neonics. I've lost hives there from becoming queenless. It seems the population of swifts and swallows pick off my queens on their mating flights. I now introduce mated queens from my other yards, problem solved unless I miss a swarm and then it will go queenless. I think the last beekeeper may have had this same problem and didn't put the puzzle together.

They blame the vineyards and their spraying routines as well. Can't say I've lost any because of the vineyard sprays either and I've got 2 apiaries on 2 different vineyards.
    Not saying it won't happen, just that it hasn't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Many nurseries here add it to water and the neonic is taken up by the plant with the water.
    Can't say I've lost bees because of it but lots of others around here swear that their bees died because of it.
    Lots of others where I live swear that their bees died from cell towers and chem trails. People say a lot of stupid things.

To keep this nursery related. There is a nursery near me and a beekeeper is nearby to them. You can see the hives in a field that is not too far away. I get calls every year to catch swarms and a couple of times a swarm was hanging off the main building right near the entrance. I was decked out in full suit and customers were walking right past me as I was trying to box them up. The employees were really chill and the customers thought it was cool to have bees at a nursery.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Just to clarify..my post just stated what the tag on some of my plants stated. I did not make a link between any amt of neo exposure and hive risk. I have 4 hives surrounded by 500 acres of soybeans and they are making it so far. As my post stated, given the choice, I'd like all my hives a long ways from anything chemically altered, but beekeeping doesn't always work that way.

appalachian>>Yes, that is the way I read it, and agree.