Best way to filter 35 -50 gallons of honey? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best way to filter 35 -50 gallons of honey?

I use a scratcher and it all goes into the extractor. At some point I use a spatula to get everything out the honey gate into the bucket filter. Not sure where I got the filters but they fit a bucket well and once I get all the honey into the filter/bucket, I tie up and hang the filter so it's not touching the bucket and can drain free and clear. It's all drained out overnight, I then tie up the filter and toss it into a bucket to deal with all the wax cappings inside later. I tried the filters from Mannlake that fit into the top of a 5g bucket, but the honey did not move through it very fast if at all, so needless to say, those got tossed pretty quickly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

What Richard Cryberg said. I don't know why they are called capping scratchers. Should be capping lifters. It's all I use and it's pretty quick and yields minimal tiny fragments to clog a filter.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I use a similar set up but filter bags from mann lake and some copies I made.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ry/page86.html Item 380 I have about 4 of them made from their filter cloth material.

Put a bag into each 5 gallon pail and extract inside the bag. Tie off the top of the bag and later at your leisure pull the bag out slowly and it leaves behind the filtered honey in the pail and the cappings neatly inside the bag. I use bungee shock cord to tie the bag up so I dont have to tend it. Takes about half an hour to pull the bag out of the pail of honey. I will be getting more bags cause this sure has made filtering so much easier and less messy!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    Shinbone,

Of course warming the honey will be helpful, but not solve your basic problem.
    Join a different club with more relaxed rules. e
    Wait, I am confused. Why would a club say that you can only de-cap with a scratcher?

Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I know it's been said already, but will just reinforce.

**never scratch the fork across the tops of the cells. Slide the fork under the top of the cells and pivot, lifting the caps off. Then empty the fork by scraping it over an empty bowl or clean bucket. Never allow the cappings to go into the extractor. While you are extracting. Have the strainer sitting over top of the bucket, so the honey is screened as it pours into the bucket. Never bucket unscreened honey, that's too much work. Keep the frames reasonably warm as you are working, never try and work with frames less than room temperature.**

I can extract 200 frames of honey before having to stop and tap out my stainless filter using this method.

This year i did the best than the other years. I did not expect the yield that i did so i had to invest a little. I also wanted to preserve the comb that i could so i bought a 2 frame extractor.

I've yielded about 40 gallons. I used a dinner fork to uncap and a corded drill to run the extractor.

I filtered just like most said above, using two buckets and gravity filtering. Kept it warm and they filtered out overnight.

I can see myself continuing this way probably up to at least 50 hives. While it'll be labor intensive, I'm not pressed to crank it all out in one weekend.

I don't see how going more efficient is justifiable with your hive count, but each their own.

I think continuing on with what you have is good, but keep your honey warm and keep bottling.

You mentioned being willing to make some capital investment. May I suggest looking into an electric knife, Dadant uncapping tub, and Dadant 6-12 radial extractor. With your existing buckets and filters, this will greatly simplify your process and be very easy to clean and store. This would be about a $1500 investment, but would be least stressful than dealing with a list of rules.

Did your cappings go into the bucket with the honey?? I scratch mine over a container then place the frame in the extractor. From extractor it flows out through a plastic mesh screen on a bucket. I bottle from that bucket no extra filtering is required. Not sure how you got that much wax in your honey???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12