VarroMed...something new coming - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: VarroMed...something new coming

Quote Originally Posted by Zanderant View Post
    H(there is at least 5 x more hives in Europe compared to the US..
    have a nice day.
    got me to wondering about this: http://www.factfish.com/statistic/beehives why does India have so many hives jeesh
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper 2nd yr 15 hives
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Has anyone tried VarroMed or have reviews? I very much prefer using the dribble/trickle to Vap. I am not trying to open that debate but rather I am thinking about giving this a try and looking for feedback.
    Steve, where do you plan to obtain it? As far as I am aware it is not registered in the US so you'd have to be in the EU to buy it.

I tested Varromed last Summer on a few hives and was really happy with the application and results during the season.
    Anyway, when it came to late summer treatment, where the mite population is on the peak Varromed was not able to reduce the mites to an acceptable level.
    I lost 2 hives that were only treated with Varromed. Other German beekeeper made similar observations:

VarroMed-gemittelter-Milbenfall-und-Trendlinie.jpg
    (c) source: https://stadtrandhonig.de/2019/10/07...nd-auswertung/

Varromed should only be used "on low and moderate" mite levels. That seems to be very true.
    But as BernhardHeuvel already said, it could be one piece in a new way to manage Varroa all year.
    The big advantage for German beekeeper is, indeed, that Varromed is approved to be used in spring and we might can get rid of harmful Winter treatments.

Has anybody else used the protein supplement that Bernard talked about called Bee Strong? He's using dried eggs in his patty mix too. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Swarmhunter View Post
    Has anybody else used the protein supplement that Bernard talked about called Bee Strong? He's using dried eggs in his patty mix too. Any thoughts?
    My thought is that I wish I hadn't gotten rid of all the dried eggs we had in the freezer to make space. Our chickens are prolific in the summer and at one point we had 90 eggs in the fridge.

Steve, where do you plan to obtain it? As far as I am aware it is not registered in the US so you'd have to be in the EU to buy it.
    Just reading and learning for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    late summer treatment

Other German beekeeper made similar observations:
    That trial was poorly designed from the very start. I don't understand how people still share this "experiment". What do you expect, if you wait until end of August, letting mite population grow way high up in the sky and then using only a third of the recommended dosage to treat? 15 ml instead of 45-50 ml?

There is a good and thorough instruction coming with this product. RTFM we said in the good ol' computer times...still is true today. If you are not able to read the manufacturer's manuals, you will fail with any product, isn't it?

As I described in the presentation I just posted, it is all about keeping Varroa counts down all year round.

It is all about the fat body. It doesn't matter if you remove all mites, if the fat body of the bees is severely wrecked, the bees will not winter. If you wait until end of August with varroa treatment, the bees recover from the fat loss two month later. This is November, when the first fully established winter bees can be raised again. What do you think how successful winter brooding is?

Bernhard, Iīm totally in line with you. And the way you are using Varromed is absolutely the right one. I just wanted to point out that Varromed is not a new tool for of a classical treatment if the might level is already too high.
    It has to fit in a different approach as you described in your presentation. If the mite level exceeds a certain threshold you need to do something else .. what you are also doing, as far as I know.
    Varromed is easy & perfect to not get anywhere to that threshold but spring treatment seems to be essential if next treatment should be after harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post

There is a good and thorough instruction coming with this product. RTFM we said in the good ol' computer times...still is true today. If you are not able to read the manufacturer's manuals, you will fail with any product, isn't it?
    ?
    Bernhard,
    Until the new instruction sheet from the manufacturer I have a few questions for you.
    How may ml do you typically use in the spring to treat a colony? I see that current instructions call for a dose of 30ml for a population of bees up to 12k, and from 12-30k bees in the colony 30ml-45ml is suggested.
    At 30ml per colony one bottle is treating 20 colonies one time for 35euro (or $38US about $2US per colony per treatment). How many spring treatments do you typically need to use per colony to get varroa knocked back?

What is your routine and cost of fall treatments per colony? Do you use varroamed in fall also? or something else?
    Thanks, clyde

Hi Clyde,

I keep the varroa numbers down all year long, so usually I need only one treatment in Spring and that is it. But I do monitor all year round as well, and if I see varroa becoming a problem, I treat. I visibly inspect for varroa which is much better in my eyes, than monitoring mites on the floor board or alcohol wash or the like.

The treatment is a bit costly right now, but the manufacturer had to spend some millions on the registration and approval in advance which should be honoured. For a bottle (500 ml) I pay 23 € in the pharmacy. The pharmacies are the real reasons why the prices are high. I hope, that Varromed becomes more available when it has not be sold in pharmacies which is now the law in Germany at least.

It is the only legal treatment in Spring in Germany, but the effects of a Spring treatment are good enough to pay the extra costs.

I posted a presentation earlier in this thread which shows what I do in summer and fall. I use a combination of short and long term treatment and Varromed is a part of my strategy, along with either thymol or amitraz, depending on the varroa situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    I just wanted to point out that Varromed is not a new tool for of a classical treatment if the might level is already too high.
    Ok, now I got it and you're right. For me this was logical and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post

There is a good and thorough instruction coming with this product. ....
    {This is pretty much a duplicate post of one I posted earlier, and which Bernhard answered, but is not visible to me. }

Bernhard,
    Until the new instruction sheet from the manufacturer is available I have a few questions for you.
    How may ml do you typically use in the spring to treat a colony? How many spring treatments?

How about your fall treatments, do you use VarroaMed in the late summer/fall as well? if so how large a dose and how many treatments?
    Or, if you use something else what is it and the routine in fall?

Approximately what does your yearly treatment program cost per colony?

Thanks, clyde

Bernhard,
    Thank you. I will look back in the thread for your presentation.

I too visually inspect as my monitoring method of choice.

Sounds like one spring treatment is reasonable both in cost and time. Do you use a VarroaMed dose of 30ml during brood-up or can you treat effectively with less?
    I do realize the dose is population dependent.

Thanks.

I do realize the dose is population dependent.
    To expand, one of the things I like about the Varroamed system is the next dose is based on the mite fall form the 1st
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

Bernhard >
    I keep the varroa numbers down all year long, so usually I need only one treatment in Spring and that is it.
    So do I. Currently use OA vapor when broodless or nearly so mid January thru early February. Holds the mites down until mid-late summer. Sometimes though the weather/temps don't co-operate with using vapor then. A substitute would be nice, and one that might be used effectively later would be a bonus.

I posted a presentation earlier in this thread which shows what I do in summer and fall. I use a combination of short and long term treatment and Varromed is a part of my strategy, along with either thymol or amitraz, depending on the varroa situation.
    I viewed your presentation. Your approach is very similar to my own, we differ in some choices of product but overall very similar.
    Problems here arise in fall from collapsing colonies in the surrounding country side and the influx of varroa can be substantial. Can't treat constantly all fall long, so it can become a challange fighting varroa during a long warm fall period quickly followed by cold winter temperatures.

All the best, clyde

Bernhard,
    How do you time your your spring treatment with VarroMed?
    I'm curious what conditions are present during your spring treatment both within the brood nest and external conditions?

Anybody know if there is a beekeeping store in Brussels that would sell this? Will be there in March and would like to pick some up if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Anybody know if there is a beekeeping store in Brussels that would sell this? Will be there in March and would like to pick some up if I can.
    Canīt help with a store, but you you can order online in a Belgien / European shop and send it to a Parcelbox in Bruessels.

This paper is a wealth of information about the product. I found section 6.1 very interesting in light of the ingredients I had found for HiveClean and posted previously.

https://ec.europa.eu/health/document..._136456_en.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12