VarroMed...something new coming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VarroMed...something new coming

Beeculture blog.

VaroMed.

OA/Formic Acid combo, just approverd in the EU atm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: VarroMed...something new coming

What is the advantage of combining OA and FA?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Sounds dangerous to me.

And a waste of time. It still requires more/other ipm strategies to raise mite kill %'s.

Hey guys, we in Switzerland (and several other countries) have used this product (or better it`s previous version) for several years very successfully. Then the European Union required registration.
    The advantage of the product is that the combination in a proprietary matrix makes the mite-killing effect last longer and it is not toxic to the brood (like oxalic acid alone).
    If you read Randy Oliver he is promoting Oxalic acid since a long time - but the Oxalic acid duration of effect is too short. With this product no - you can apply it and use it reliably.
    The "part of IPM" which is reported is just because the European Authorties want to promote integrated pest managment - not becasue it is required with the product.
    if you want to know more - look at the homepage of the manufacturer. ... But I dont know if they will actually launch it in the US or just keep being busy earning their money in Europe (there is at least 5 x more hives in Europe compared to the US..
    have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanderant View Post
    The advantage of the product is . . . and it is not toxic to the brood (like oxalic acid alone).
    Combining OA and FA could very well be good, but, I've never lost brood to OA.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Sounds like something ripe for research. Comparing the chemicals alone and in combination to determine efficacy and safety. I do not see how this would be a proprietary combination, but what ever. I would simply be fine with using the most effective and safest combination resulting from research.

I think the more options we can get the better.

I bought some and used it successfully. Very easy as it comes preprepared in a bottle and you just squeeze the required amount along the seams/
    However, once opened you are supposed to use it within one month so a lot is wasted if you have only a few hives.

So it looks like an upgrade of the OA dribble which is not used much anyhow.
    Johno

Its main advantage is (in the EU) it is approved for brood/supers on treatments. suggested up to 9 doses a year with it tested as being safe for hives at 11
    as for " not used much anyhow", that is a very american hobbyist view, other country's and keepers with higher hive counts are very different in there use
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

MSL you must define this American hobbyist thing, I wonder which commercial guys have time to strip their hives down 9 times a year to dribble with this stuff.
    Johno

*sigh*
    in most places in the world OA Trickle is still the primary method used

Most commercial guys aren't going to use 9 treatments of anything, they are going to use good management and rotate treatments. Even then, OA is not there primary treatment.
    in the last 5 year advrage (in the US )only 22% of commercials and 23% of the sideliners reported using OA at all, while 76% reported using Amitraz. For those that use it, its often a winter broodless thing, a 1 gal $5 pump sprayer is a cheap and fast solution, and its handy to hit a hive when you find it brood less for any reason during during normal inspection.

OA use is trending up with starting in 2016
    US commercials 28% in 2016 and 36% in 2017.
    But the large growth has been in sideliners, jumping to 37% in 2016 and 52% in 2017. No dought in part do to products like the provap 110 hitting the market... the product gaining leagle status surely helped as well
    Vaping at a large scale is relativity new and your experiences aren't indicative of beekeeping when you look at the global scale. This is why we see little research on OAV when compared to the mountain of study's on trickle.
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

I see the simplicity of a dribble application method, a la OAD, with the benefit of the sealed brood treatment of FA. No other equipment to buy or heavy batteries and hot OA vaporizers to drag around. 9 treatments sounds like a major pain, but so is OAV treatments 4 or 5 weeks straight. I imagine it shouldn't be such a big deal to work 9 treatments into the course of a year's inspection. What's the big deal about taking off the lid and dribbling the brood box? Work your treatment schedule to avoid the honey making season.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

To be clear that was the max treatments per year not the sujested course of action
    Ie 1x winter broodless
    3-5x summer/fall when brood is present
    Etc standard OA use
    The "max " is how they got the supers on approval
    Even if all the OA got in the honey, and it was a bad year the eu felt it wouldn't be enuff to worry about

Has anyone tried VarroMed or have reviews? I very much prefer using the dribble/trickle to Vap. I am not trying to open that debate but rather I am thinking about giving this a try and looking for feedback.

Steve, I suspect the lack of continued talk about this product speaks volumes for it's effectiveness/cost/PIA factor.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Steve, I suspect the lack of continued talk about this product speaks volumes for it's effectiveness/cost/PIA factor.
    Maybe. Or, not many people do dribble instead preferring to OAV. I think I will try it with a small number of hives this spring. Reading the active ingredients it seems to be a weaker version of OA dribble with a very small amount of Formic Acid added. I think that is how they are able to use it up to 9 times/year.

I use Varromed with great success since two years. It is easy and very effective.

Because there is no sugar, the dribbling oxalic acid is less harmful than sugary oxalic acid solutions, because the bees don't feed on it. The propolis sticks the oxalic acid to the bodies of the bees and the formic acid prolongs the effect of the oxalic acids up to ten days.

For me it works like a charm. It is also approved for use in Spring. I found Spring treatments most effective, since the varroa population is held down for about three months. It does make sense to hold down the varroa population all year long instead of letting it grow into a big problem in summer, just to fight it back down, hammering the varroa population.

To make it work, read and understand the instructions, especially the part about keeping mites down all year long.

I made a presentation on my adapted varroa strategy:

http://www.immenfreunde.de/docs/Varr...egien-engl.pdf (22 Mb)

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    I use Varromed with great success since two years. It is easy and very effective.
    Thank you for the information! I had assumed that since it is the successor to HiveClean that it also was a sugar solution.

Hive Clean Ingredients: Water, Saccharose, Citric acid, Oxalic acid, Formic acid, Propolis extract and essentil oils.
    From http://www.cornwallhoney.co.uk/beepedia/beevital.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast