Total n00b here. We are located in the Chihuahuan Desert about 60 miles east of El Paso, TX.
Found a swarm that decided to take residence in my pumphouse. It's not just a swarm becauase they are building comb.
My wife and I have often toyed with the idea of keeping bees. So, we've decided to take the plunge. We have to wait until we can purchase our supplies, so we are just leaving them be(e) until we are ready to move them.
Of course, this means that our first exposure will be capturing a wild hive as a cutout. I have always learned best from being thrown into the fire, so I guess that's how it will be! Lol.
Thankfully, they are not aggressive. I have been able to go into that pumphouse unassailed several times with absolutely no protective gear at all (no hat, tee shirt and shorts). Of course, they are just setting up shop in there so there's not a lot to defend yet.
Since the colony is weak (it's a rather small number of bees), I'm thinking of letting them stay in the pumphouse until spring and then moving them. I was thinking to feed them now so they can build up in the space they are in and then cut them out later.
Would it make more sense to cut them out NOW, and feed them heavily so they can overwinter in a hive box or leave them in the (partially heated, and insulated) pumphouse until spring?