Waste not Want not Mead - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Waste not Want not Mead

No more CME's? I have had a few of those and they are a sticky mess..... Never had them hit the ceiling though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Another hard nights work! I went down and theifed a pint off both the cherry and the peach/mandarin orange sides. The wife declares the cherry too powerful and likes the other which does not show its muscle but has identical alcohol content. I replaced the mead with more honey and once again, a lot of C02 came roaring up. Since I haven't seen the air locs move in weeks that surprised me. I am sure I will get a little more fermentation again. I still plan on adding honey until I get the right taste. The cherry tastes great right now but I already have ten gallons that taste just like it. So I will pump up the volume a bit and see what happens.

No matter what you do to mead that you don't like, if it is potent the SCA folks will make it disappear on a hot day so nothing is wasted.

I love this thread. Vance, I feel real bad about your long nights work. I hope I have the patience that you all do. This weekend I started 2 types of maple syrup mead, a basic mead for later addition of hot peppers and a lemon mead that my wife wanted. Of course, that's the one that still hasn't got started after 72 hours. Curious about your cherry mead. Is it bitter..... As in tart?
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

This is a great thread, I never knew half this stuff could go in mead. At some point I am going to make a gallon
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

No real bitterness but it is tart, I would call it acidic though. Not objectionably so. I am slowly step feeding it until it reaches alcohol tolerance or it hits just the right taste, then I am going to sulfate and sulfite it to stop it right there. I already have ten gallons that can be bottles any time I want so my meads are not in a hurry. I have a gallon of maple syrup bought from a beek on another forum who sugars. I am enthralled with the idea of an acerglynn. I am tempted to put some ginger in that one but want to make a base mead with KIV1116 which is my go to dry mead yeast. The idea of a sweet maple mead with D47 is also appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I love this thread. Vance, I feel real bad about your long nights work. I hope I have the patience that you all do. This weekend I started 2 types of maple syrup mead, a basic mead for later addition of hot peppers and a lemon mead that my wife wanted. Of course, that's the one that still hasn't got started after 72 hours. Curious about your cherry mead. Is it bitter..... As in tart?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12