is there an easier way to uncap?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default is there an easier way to uncap?

I am not very good at the hot knife for uncapping. everything gets sticky, honey drips everywhere, it sizzles probably more than it should, the knife gets burnt honey on it. It is probably the part that I enjoy the least as I make a big mess everywhere.
    I have been looking online for an easier uncapping method.
    I came across this one http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/795/
    The idea of just slipping in the frames and not having to deal with all the cappings and the associated mess is very appealing.
    Has anyone tried it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: is there an easier way to uncap?

Quote Originally Posted by razoo View Post
    I am not very good at the hot knife for uncapping. everything gets sticky, honey drips everywhere, it sizzles probably more than it should, the knife gets burnt honey on it. It is probably the part that I enjoy the least as I make a big mess everywhere.
    I have been looking online for an easier uncapping method.
    I came across this one http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/795/
    The idea of just slipping in the frames and not having to deal with all the cappings and the associated mess is very appealing.
    Has anyone tried it?
    Looks neat, curious to see what others say if they've had any experience. I guarantee you that you that you're going to get a ton of cappings to strain out. Looks like a plugging nightmare for the way I currently strain my honey. And $1,500 seems outrageous for what you're getting there. In my opinion.

Looks pretty slick though.

I've seen Youtube videos of people just scratching away the cappings with a fork. Not sure how many frames you're dealing with, but if it's not many that's at least one super cheap alternative. Might want to at least try it before investing in a more expensive tool.

There's a ton of cappings to strain and the rollers plug quickly, then nothing gets uncapped.
    Peter W., Belgrade, MT, Elv. 4420 Zone 4a
    Sheepshank Honey, 8 yrs & 13 hives

Quote Originally Posted by Rxmaker View Post
    There's a ton of cappings to strain and the rollers plug quickly, then nothing gets uncapped.
    That was the impression I got watching the video. Have you used one?

I saw the idea on here from Harley Craig, so I got a cheap Walmart electric fish fillet knife for $15. It works great. I can uncap a well drawn out flat frame of capped honey in under a minute with it. I and my daughters used it, and I will get a second one next time I uncap frames. I used a hot knife before and they don't make sense compared to the fillet knife. Even a manual fillet knife works ok.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...c+fillet+knife

There are several sideliner uncappers on sale on craigs list and other beekeeper sites. Many are unhappy with them.

Sounds insane, I know, but ... for the 1 lonely little frame I harvested this year .... I used a basic ol' kitchen fork. Scraped along each side of the frame, kept it in a container for a couple of days, and then: had a jar's worth of honey.

Buy a good quality capping's scratcher. We run 95 hives and extract about 3 tons of honey a year using that method.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Not to say this is the way to do it but I did it this year because I only had one and half supers to do. I used a heat gun and then use a pet hair comb to remove anything still capped and it worked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    There are several sideliner uncappers on sale on craigs list and other beekeeper sites. Many are unhappy with them.
    I looked, found one for sale in WA and another in CO, but I couldn't find "several" for sale.
    Where did you see several for sale? I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Looks neat, curious to see what others say if they've had any experience. I guarantee you that you that you're going to get a ton of cappings to strain out. Looks like a plugging nightmare for the way I currently strain my honey. And $1,500 seems outrageous for what you're getting there. In my opinion.

Looks pretty slick though.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    I saw the idea on here from Harley Craig, so I got a cheap Walmart electric fish fillet knife for $15. It works great. I can uncap a well drawn out flat frame of capped honey in under a minute with it. I and my daughters used it, and I will get a second one next time I uncap frames. I used a hot knife before and they don't make sense compared to the fillet knife. Even a manual fillet knife works ok.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...c+fillet+knife
    Me too, I ordered on Walmart online a brand name electric filet knife after watching his video. I don't like hot knife and I'm tired of stopping after a few supers to sharpen the cold knife. This looks so slick I have to give it a try when Pepper is done. If I don't like it I can take it back to Walmart. I will post my results in a few weeks as long as I'm not wiped out by the hurricane. It's not projected to get as far as my area.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Lyson also manufactures the same system and they are from Poland. Betterbee in New York is a distributor for then in the USA.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

I use this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vict.../35347645.html

The granton edge (little hollow thingies) lets the blade slip through without sticking to the comb and pulling it off the foundation.

Comes in handy on Thanksgiving and Christmas too.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

So on this thread from 2012, they discuss using a heat gun.
    Anyone here tried it? Looks like minimal mess.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-gun-uncapping

Buy a cappings scratcher

Quote Originally Posted by razoo View Post
    So on this thread from 2012, they discuss using a heat gun.
    Anyone here tried it? Looks like minimal mess.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-gun-uncapping
    That method requires a very steady hand and a lot of attention. One minute not looking and you will destroy you comb.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

An uncappings scratcher makes the most sense for small operations.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ct/HD-465.html
    I own 4 of these. It is my understanding that if you use a knife a percentage of your crop will be in cappings buckets and have to be dealt with.
    I work this way. Using a scratcher I can scratch and extract 2 1/2 supers an hour. I extract into buckets topped by medium mann lake sieves. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ct/HH-442.html
    However, this summer I paid my kids $8/hr and supervised them scratching and was moving the honey at 4 supers/hr. The kids were happy with this and were getting ahead of the extractor (20 frame maxant). For a small sideliner like myself this makes much more sense than investing in one more piece of equipment. I only own 40 supers, and this year I harvested 1300 pounds.
    I would estimate that I have about 2 1/2 gallons in wax scratchings which I will melt over the winter.

Look for the youtube videos of the guy using a heatgun. I'll be trying that next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast