Bee bee trees - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bee bee trees

Default Re: Bee bee trees

You can ignore all you want. Though you cannot ignore this reality. First year sprout, 2nd year established, and 3rd year took off. So if these are the 2nd year growth then we have interrupted their growing cycle already. That means they will be set back for one year. I have experimented with 2 trees by moving one 2nd year growth to another location in the yard. That one died because going thruough our summer dearth without much water and not has a chance to get its root system established. I yanked it out when it was still growing during the Spring time. Never has a chance to grow some roots and leaves. Compare to the one that I leave it alone, now it is almost 15 feet and growing higher everyday. Some of the side shoots I had pinched off to allow the main branch to grow taller. Maybe by this season's end it may reach 20' high. This is its 4th year but counting the 2nd year that I moved it from the original location, in reality it is only on the 3rd year of growth. No wonder I have not seen any flowers yet. Still a rather young tree since they can live for 20-30 years or longer. All I can do now is to provide plenty of organic compost and compost tea. They will grow fast in the right environment reaching 7-10 feet or more per season. Can you still ignore all these facts? Maybe you can do some tree experimenting yourself too.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

>It was way too wet then to plant them where they will wind up.

IN that case next time plant in a biodegradable pot, so you can later plant without disturbing the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >It was way too wet then to plant them where they will wind up.

IN that case next time plant in a biodegradable pot, so you can later plant without disturbing the roots.
    I planted them in my garden, which has very rich, very loose soil. It shouldn't disturb the roots much when I move them. I didn't plant them upright like normal, I laid them in a trench. What I did is a commonly used practice by horticulturists. My sis in law has a degree in Horticulture from Auburn University and that's what she suggested to do with them. But then again, she's no beepro.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Doesn't matter how you laid them in. As long as they have plenty of sunshine and in the right cool environment they will take off. Our daily high is around 55F on average these days. My tree is in full leaves now. With plenty of rains and a cool environment there is no way to stop it now. A loose rich fertile soil will aid in their taking roots soon as these are fast growing trees. One day it can grow up to 2" or more. Imagine too that the roots have to keep up.

Full leaves now:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Mine is leafing out now and the hardwood cuttings I took last fall have broke bud we shall see what it does this yr

I bought some of ODFrank's BeeBee trees last year, and they are thriving this spring. Quality trees indeed!

Looks like ODFrank might have some competition now. Though it is still a very young tree, I just found out that my 4 years old tree is going to bloom this year because we have lots of rains this season. Half way at the top I saw a side branch with some cluster of flowers in development right now. Going to collect plenty of seeds if they have them to resow this year. I started pinching off the lower growth node at the bottom branches. Should not be doing this have I saw the cluster of flowers sooner. Maybe these will grow into flowers too. We will see! One happy BB tree owner now.
    Last edited by beepro; 04-17-2017 at 07:14 PM.

I planted 8 bee bee trees (containerized) one year and 15 bare root the next year. I have been growing trees a long time, and these are strange trees. They leaf out super early. I lost about 25% of my newly planted and 1-year old trees--both containerized and bare root--after spring frosts killed the foliage and they succumbed. After they had been in the ground about 4 years, one flush of leaves came out, got killed, by frost; then another flush came out and got killed by frost. But they leafed out again and survived with no mortality that time (except twig death on all branches that I had to prune back). So you should plan for some loss until the trees are 2 to 3 years old. Also, they refuse to produce a strong central leader. They are absolutely obstinate in sending out side shoots that far outstrip what would normally be the leader. They also tend to branch very low. They look more like big, gangly shrubs at this point. This drove me nuts for a while. Now I just let them grow like maniacs and hope for the best. Fortunately, I did not plant them to LOOK pretty! My tallest tree is now about 10 feet tall (no blooms yet) and I have not had any storm damage, so maybe they won't get ripped apart as other trees with weak crotches might. The foliage kind of stinks, but deer (voracious in my area) won't touch the foliage or twigs. They grow very fast. I have never noticed them struggling even in dry hot summers. The fall foliage is virtually colorless.

To train them on a strong leader you have to start when the side shoots are growing in its
    2nd year. On the third year into the 4th all the lower growth node on the side branches have to be pinched off.
    More and more side branches will grow from the top as the central leader gets taller. Start early and don't let too many
    side branches grow on the lower side.

well the rains came and now my tree which has survived 2 winters now looks to be dying this was the last of the original ones I purchased. My cutting are still leaving out so hopefully they will root. they will get planted in a raised bed and watered untill they take. For those of you collecting seeds, it's so much easier to take tip cuttings on first yrs growth in the fall once it goes dormant dip in rooting hormone and put in a box outside in a slightly shady area. Don't let it get too dry, and don't let it hold water and they should sprout right up for you.

Mine cap its main central growth tip at the tree top with a cluster of flowers. I wanted it to grow taller like 25' but nature take its
    course in an unexpected way. There will be many seeds and seedlings if my bees will pollinate these flowers. I will be planting these small seedlings on the local creek banks too. Maybe by mid July I should see some seed pods formed. Not bad for a 4 year young tree, hahh.

Thumbs Up Re: Bee bee trees

IMG_3616.jpg

Planted one of OD Frank's Bee Bee trees 2 years ago. It's doing pretty good! It's about 8 feet tall now

Year three and one of my trees is a good 16-18 feet all. It's really doing well, but still not a bloom in sight. When do these trees start blooming?

Quote Originally Posted by jklapperich View Post
    Year three and one of my trees is a good 16-18 feet all. It's really doing well, but still not a bloom in sight. When do these trees start blooming?
    It can take a few years. It sounds like you are getting good growth. When it does bloom, you will have lots of flowers

Maybe fertilize it with liquid fertilizers including trace elements. It's heartwarming to see one of my babies thriving across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Dave View Post
    It can take a few years. It sounds like you are getting good growth. When it does bloom, you will have lots of flowers
    I have great growth on all 3 of the trees I planted. These are the only trees that have lasted in my yard. I have tried a red bud and a cherry tree, but they never made it. These guys are doing great!

So 1 of my 2 trees is forked. This is the 2nd year. I would like to cut one of the forks & root it. Planning to use rooting hormone in a sand & peat mix. Or would rooting in a willow leaf tea be better? Anybody have suggestions?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by dadux View Post
    So 1 of my 2 trees is forked. This is the 2nd year. I would like to cut one of the forks & root it. Planning to use rooting hormone in a sand & peat mix. Or would rooting in a willow leaf tea be better? Anybody have suggestions?
    Don
    Rooting hormone works best. They aren't easy without a special set up

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Dave View Post
    Rooting hormone works best. They aren't easy without a special set up
    Thanks Farmer Dave

Can you tell me what special set up works? I have a greenhouse with a mister on a timer...

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dadux View Post
    Thanks Farmer Dave

Can you tell me what special set up works? I have a greenhouse with a mister on a timer...

Don
    That is what you need. I have only tried them one season so I don't have a good sense of optimal timing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast