Mead greenhorn - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mead greenhorn

Default Re: Mead greenhorn

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Thanks. It was my assumption, while reading up on JAOM, to place the carboy in a closet or cupboard. A dark place. Maybe it was meant to hide it from impatience.
    Jason is more fun to watch fermenting than television. A lot going on in that carboy hat is fun to watch. Of course my life isn't all that exciting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I am a new brewer also. I mixed my first batch Dec. 8th. Are you still aging your mead? Mine is slowly turning clear. There was too much in the bucket, and I filled two small bottles. I didn't have an airlock for them, so I used balloons. I am going to re-bottle into flip-top bottles from beer. After I get all of my flip-tops filled, I will use wine bottles for later brews. (I have a case and a half saved.) Next summer I am planning raspberry mead.I have always had a lot of hobbies. Unfortunately, they all require spending money to get started.

Update..
    I started the JAOM on 10/10/2016 and was hoping to taste it at Christmas but the fruit continued to float until around mid Jan. The fruit then hung suspended half way down and I was sure it was thick as syrup and never would fall. Low and behold, and much to my surprise, every last bit of orange slices and raisins eventually sank to the bottom of the carboy leaving a beautiful, clear, light yellow mead. I bottled it 3 days ago. It has a strong alcohol smell that finishes with orange rind. We decided it tastes like flat champaign with an orange finish. I have tasted a few other meads with an effervescent quality that I'm not fond of so I was pleased mine was not like that.
    It is quite good!
    I'm starting a second batch this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Update..
    I started the JAOM on 10/10/2016 and was hoping to taste it at Christmas but the fruit continued to float until around mid Jan. The fruit then hung suspended half way down and I was sure it was thick as syrup and never would fall. Low and behold, and much to my surprise, every last bit of orange slices and raisins eventually sank to the bottom of the carboy leaving a beautiful, clear, light yellow mead. I bottled it 3 days ago. It has a strong alcohol smell that finishes with orange rind. We decided it tastes like flat champaign with an orange finish. I have tasted a few other meads with an effervescent quality that I'm not fond of so I was pleased mine was not like that.
    It is quite good!
    I'm starting a second batch this week.
    Nice!! It's hard to mess up JAOM!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12