Ordering Queen and Package Separately?

Default Ordering Queen and Package Separately?

I am preparing for my first bees, and hoping to get started this spring! I do not want a nuc, because I will be using top bar hives. I am most interested in Russian bees, but they all seem to come as nucs, or queens only. I could order a Russian queen from one place, and a package of some other bees from another place, then combine them. But I am concerned about that strategy because there's no guarantee that the queen and the package will arrive at the same time. Does anyone know of a Russian breeder who sells packages? If not, what's the best strategy here?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ordering Queen and Package Separately?

If you order a package it will come with a queen. provided all goes well there is no issue there. If you want a different queen order it once the colony is established a bit and then replace the package queen. No timing issue etc. If the replacement queen purchase runs into snags it is no big deal. It simply looks like you are thinking of attempting to many things at once taking the risk with each that they will not go as planned. break it up into steps.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Let the package queen establish your first hive later in the season when the hive has grown you can split the hive up and install the queens you want in the splits. This winter you should be studying and watching all you tube videos you can find.

Do NOT order a queenless package. If it is queenless for even a short while you will throw away almost all chances of getting a new queen accepted. Install your package and requeen as required. Good luck with them Russians...

I think some bee supply stores had Russian queens with packages. Kelly Bees might have been one;

https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/19/Q...-Hybrid-Queens

Keep checking their site, get put on their mailing list. They should start advertising soon.

Here is a place further north, offering Russian nucs and queens.

https://squareup.com/store/SMF/

If the link does not work, look for Sweet Mountain Farm, LLC
    It is a tall, right handed, world! I am neither!!!!