Swarm problem....

Default Swarm problem....

Hi all.... im new here from Germany so maybe will be some gramatical mistake. I have 60 hive 1/1 (dadant) and I want to ask how you work with this type of hive to avoid swarming during the seson and to not spent much time? I have another job so time is very important. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm problem....

>how you work with this type of hive to avoid swarming during the season and to not spent much time?

I have the same problem this year, almost 100% swarms or cutdown splits cause they were preparing to swarm, best I can figure is to reduce the number of hives, keep new young queens in the hives and give them plenty of room, keep feeding to a minimum. And then try to do all that one day a week.

What has helped me some is to read up on comb honey production. Comb production involves flirting with crowding to the point of swarming. Read that comb production colonies should be re-queened with current year queens as early in spring as possible and that second year queens are sort of geared up for swarming.

Out or 26 colonies this spring only about 6 or 8 cast swarms because I was aggressive about splitting any hive that showed signs of swarming ie: queen cells.

Put up swarm traps and prepare to accept the fact that you're going to lose some unless you have time to do a quick visual on each hive weekly minimum during prime swarm season.

If you work with it a swarm it is not such a bad thing. The bees left behind quickly have no babies to nurse or feed so they will fill a hive with honey. That's not such a bad thing when a month later the new queen is making babies and the hive is well-stocked with goodies.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

My hive was not swarming yet because I divide hive before..... but off corse this tehnique affect honey production so Im loocking for something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Florin94 View Post
    My hive was not swarming yet because I divide hive before..... but off corse this tehnique affect honey production so Im loocking for something new.
    I do early spring splits and that worked very well this year. I had no swarms this year (except for one split that expanded so fast, that IT swarmed). about a week before swarm season, mid-march here, i pull the queen and two frames of brood/bees from the hive and put in a nuc. that leaves a ton of bees in the old hive. If i pull any more, i'll effect honey production in the production hive. But, if they swarm, i'll lose a whole lot more. I then don't have to worry about swarming until June or July.