80% Acetic acid
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 80% Acetic acid

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sumner County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    252

    Default 80% Acetic acid

    Right now the only place I see acetic acid is ebay, and it looks like it is all more pure than 80%. I am a little concerned about acetic acid in concentrations above 80%.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,080

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by LeifLiberty View Post
    Right now the only place I see acetic acid is ebay, and it looks like it is all more pure than 80%. I am a little concerned about acetic acid in concentrations above 80%.
    What are you using acetic acid for?

    Dilution of it is straightforward. The concentrated stuff should be handled with gloves, eye protection, and a respirator with organic acid filters, but it is no worse than the formic acid I've mixed.

    White vinegar is about 3% acetic acid.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, PA
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    80% acetic acid is flammable too.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rensselaer County, NY, USA
    Posts
    5,525

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    Perhaps you are thinking of oxalic acid, which is used mite treatments?

    Enj.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KC, MO, USA
    Posts
    4,646

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    An MSDS will scare anyone. But don't disregard it. You still need to be just as careful with 80%. You will probably pay more for 80% than for 99.85%. Plus if you buy a gallon almost a quart will be water.

    Here is where I got mine;
    http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=acetic

    CO2 might an alternative. I have not used it.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Mogollon Rim, Arizona 85933
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    You can go to any chemical supplier and buy it, also photography suppliy stores...ie oldschool photographers use it to develop their own photo, plus it's kinda watched in certain places since it's being used to make illegal drugs.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,080

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    An MSDS will scare anyone. But don't disregard it. You still need to be just as careful with 80%. You will probably pay more for 80% than for 99.85%. Plus if you buy a gallon almost a quart will be water.
    When I was in charge of the notebook of MSDS for two previous jobs, I made a point of including sheets on two often overlooked hazardous substances present at virtually all work locations: air and water.

    No kidding, there are MSDS on both!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sumner County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    What are you using acetic acid for?
    Storing wet frames. After reading the MSDS I am wondering if it is safe to store the nu-diluted container and or the treated frames anywhere near my home. Sounds like the stuff should be kept underground in an oxygen free environment.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spencer, MA, USA
    Posts
    2,859

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    I've been storing 5 gallon buckets of 99% for years in my shop, never had an issue and I notice there are no special precautions when it's shipped.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KC, MO, USA
    Posts
    4,646

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    There is a hint of vinegar smell if you are next to the stacked boxes, depends on how well you seal them. Smells about the same as Italian salad dressing. You can make consumable foods with this product, it's the exact chemical in white vinegar only 5-8%.

    Here is the MSDS for white vinegar, yes the stuff you eat;

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...33387755,d.eWE

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sumner County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: 80% Acetic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    There is a hint of vinegar smell if you are next to the stacked boxes, depends on how well you seal them. Smells about the same as Italian salad dressing. You can make consumable foods with this product, it's the exact chemical in white vinegar only 5-8%.

    Here is the MSDS for white vinegar, yes the stuff you eat;

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...33387755,d.eWE
    Thank you. This puts things in perspective. My two favorites from the vinegar MSDS are:

    Soiled clothes should be adequately laundered prior to being worn again.
    Typical vinegary aroma

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •