Bee Pasture
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee Pasture

Default Bee Pasture

Our fall pastures are lush with growth. We under seed our pastures with a scattering of clovers. Proper rotational grazing promotes an abundance of bee forage year long while the pasture grasses receive the benefit of added nitrogen and improved soil structure. This pasture was a buzz this fall morning.

Small actions, huge results
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Pasture

Nice. Do you disk over the pasture and re -sow the sweet clover each year, or will it successfully re-seed itself? Here the grass growth is usually too thick for this to work and it means more tilling. Tried sainfoin and lots of clovers here, with variable results. The sainfoin does not do well here and is out competed by lots of other locals. Would like to try some hubam sweet clover, but can't find a Canadian supplier - any sources out your way? Attached a pic of some of mine. It's good for several weeks in July here, then goes over fairly fast.

Rob

IMG_7615.jpg

No it re establishes itself each year. Some clovers being bi annuals. If your grass is out competing the clover, your not grazing enough. We typically don't have issue with under grazing. When used in a rotation, that graze down and re-growth is allowed to happen

Nice

How do you fit Roundup into that rotation?
    My apologies....I'm just being bad today.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    How do you fit Roundup into that rotation?
    My apologies....I'm just being bad today.
    Not for our pasture management but roundup and GM tech fits into the rest of our farm in a major way. Better crops , clean fields and healthier soils.

Nice! I'm neither farmer nor rancher but mob grazing is interesting and has caught my attention.

I like what he said, and o paraphrase; " it's not an answer to everything, but it's an improvement."

We are not as intensive as his operation, but we do follow the same philosophy and rotate through paddocks on most all pastures we ranch.
    Being a beekeeper I appreciate the clover growth which is included in our pasture growth to improve the cattles grazing diet and add to the land because it also provides my hives with essential season long nourishment.

Small actions , huge results

Yes, I see the added benefits--nitrogen and bee foods.
    When is the time that you sow the clover seeds?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

During pasture establishment or anytime with simple broadcast or overseeding

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not for our pasture management but roundup and GM tech fits into the rest of our farm in a major way. Better crops , clean fields and healthier soils.
    Really? I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be.
    http://www.ecowatch.com/fda-glyphosa...005556150.html

Btw: I hate that this is on a site called eco watch. But this is some troubling news nevertheless.

Not all it's cracked up to be? There is no doubt in what I said. Less weeds, bigger crops, cleaner fields, less cultivation, healthier soils.

You said better crops. Are crops better if herbicide is in them? Are soils healthier?

Did you read that article? That doesn't bother you?

Ian I have the use of about 4 acres that I plough and plant for bee pasture, I have planted crimson clover and ladino but am trying to now add the sweet clovers to extend the season. Grasses are the problem as there is quite a lot of Johnston grass that tends to take over the fields, do you think grazing with sheep could help.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by B&E View Post
    You said better crops. Are crops better if herbicide is in them? Are soils healthier?

Did you read that article? That doesn't bother you?
    I don't know what else you'd want me to say other than what I personally experience here on my farm. Im the one investing the operating cash, managing the land, growing the crops and harvesting the bounty. Economics and sustainability. It's all about tillage and hard to kill perennial weeds. We cover more acres and utilize more land through though weather conditions throughout the growing season by having clean crops.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Ian I have the use of about 4 acres that I plough and plant for bee pasture, I have planted crimson clover and ladino but am trying to now add the sweet clovers to extend the season. Grasses are the problem as there is quite a lot of Johnston grass that tends to take over the fields, do you think grazing with sheep could help.
    Johno
    Yes in rotations. But sheep graze differently than cattle, nipping rather than ripping. I'm sure the same principles follow, graze it down and allow regrowth, before grazing it back down.
    But if your objective is different than mine where as I want the grass and you don't.

Ya Ian, I do not own the land otherwise I would just spray with vantage. Thinking about the sheep, we have so many hunting hounds running around the sheep wont last a week. I thought with grazing the animals would prefer the clover to the grass, pity though as good mutton is hard to come by here.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not all it's cracked up to be? There is no doubt in what I said. Less weeds, bigger crops, cleaner fields, less cultivation, healthier soils.
    I agree 1000% with this. Just because there is very, very, very small amount of glyphosate in honey will not hurt anyone. Your drinking water has more harmful stuff in it. Don't sweat the small stuff.........

It's amusing Beekeepers focus on that farmer applied product rather than those beekeeper applied products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast