bee house

Thread: bee house

Default bee house

hey guys buzz buzz

anyone know regulations on bee house ?

I'm from new York.. but if you are from a different state

any information will bee helpful..

type of forms required and such... type of building...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: bee house

please define exactly what you mean by "bee house"
    container that the bees live in ( hive) like a "bird house" or "dog house"?
    A structure as used in some bavarian countries that houses /shelters multiple bee hives?
    or some thing else?
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

A bee house where you process your honey. I'm not sure of anyone who doesn't use the term bee house as a place where you process honey.

We all refer to it as a honey house.

What you are asking about is most often called a "honey house" by most beekeepers. There are no Laws in NYS pertaining specifically to Honey Houses.

This may inform you or confuse you, but here is what the Empire State Honey Producers Association has on their website about Food Processing. http://www.eshpa.org/ny-food-law/
    Mark Berninghausen

Maine considers honey removed from comb to be a processed food and requires you to have a food processing license and to process in sanitary conditions. This applies to honey being sold, not used for your own consumption - they seem not to care about that!

I'm in the process of building an inspect-able kitchen - pretty basic in the food handling world - washable walls and floors, water test, septic design review, lenses on lights, etc. I'm putting in a three bay sink though I think I could get away with two. Screens on the doors and windows. Easy access to bathroom facilities. Food processing surfaces are easily sanitized, etc. I'll be getting a home food processing license. Stainless Steel is good. I have an extractor and bottling tank already, I'm still looking for a uncapping system I like. The unfinished dimensions of the room I'll be using for processing is 12' x 12'. I understand an inspector will visit before I'm granted a license.

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/qar/laws_a...ws_rules.shtml

And we call it a "honey house" too.

Thank you very much I will look into. And yes honey house

Post pics of it. I'm sure many ppl would love to see it. When it's done.

Thank you again.

Here in Kentucky, honey is considered an agriculture product and your extracting/bottling isn't regulated unless you sell 1800 pounds of honey a year. If you sell more than that, you have to have it meet health dept regulations (three compartment sink, etc).

I build popcorn wagon type concession stands and every area around the country sometimes can be different from another in different ways with food prep requirements. Your best help would be to contact your local health department and ask. They can walk you through all that you would need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by StacieM View Post
    Here in Kentucky, honey is considered an agriculture product and your extracting/bottling isn't regulated unless you sell 1800 pounds of honey a year. If you sell more than that, you have to have it meet health dept regulations (three compartment sink, etc).
    Tennessee is the same, but the law says 150 gallons a year. I'd prefer it be stated in pounds...

Regarding health dept. regulations, I'd imagine most states are similar (obviously check for where you live), but our Department of Agriculture put out a list of regulations specifically pertaining to honey houses:
    http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/wp-conte...TS-6-11-08.pdf