Had my first really bad taste of honey.

Default Had my first really bad taste of honey.

Was on a trip recently and on my way back home stayed in Vermont. There was a little farmers market neat the hotel so we stopped. Picked up some maple syrup and other such and noticed a lady selling honey.

I went over and looked at her honey and noticed it was all already sugaring/crystalizing. I asked her what she thought was in it. She told me that all honey sugars right away. I told her I was a beekeeper and had honey for over four years that had not sugared and much I had bought locally before that had not either. She then went into a spiel about it being this years crop and stored in cool room etc. I explained I was asking what nectars she thought were predominant, as I knew they were different than in my area, and that I was not being critical.

She said her husband was the beekeeper she was not sure. I bought a small bottle for curiousity's sake. I just last night got around to opening it and taking a taste.

Yuck, sorry no offence intended to those in Vermont, but this was the worst tasking honey.

I had recently gone to my beekeepers assoc. Tasting and only found one bottle I did not care for. At the time I wondered it I would use it if it was all I had and decided that with no better to compare to I would.

But this light yellow mess from Vermont is downright unpleasant to me. The flavor overpowers any reward the tongue recieves from the sweetness.

I think it would ruin baked goods. And amazingly enough there are likely folks up there who think it is just the best.

I am feeling blessed to live in the place I live for beekeeping. If my bees brought in what I bought I would have quit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Had my first really bad taste of honey.

Everyone's taste buds are different I guess, I love beets and my girlfriend almost throws up looking at them.....
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

Quote Originally Posted by rolftonbees View Post
    Was on a trip recently and on my way back home stayed in Vermont. There was a little farmers market neat the hotel so we stopped. Picked up some maple syrup and other such and noticed a lady selling honey.

I went over and looked at her honey and noticed it was all already sugaring/crystalizing. I asked her what she thought was in it. She told me that all honey sugars right away. I told her I was a beekeeper and had honey for over four years that had not sugared and much I had bought locally before that had not either. She then went into a spiel about it being this years crop and stored in cool room etc. I explained I was asking what nectars she thought were predominant, as I knew they were different than in my area, and that I was not being critical.

She said her husband was the beekeeper she was not sure. I bought a small bottle for curiousity's sake. I just last night got around to opening it and taking a taste.

Yuck, sorry no offence intended to those in Vermont, but this was the worst tasking honey.

I had recently gone to my beekeepers assoc. Tasting and only found one bottle I did not care for. At the time I wondered it I would use it if it was all I had and decided that with no better to compare to I would.

But this light yellow mess from Vermont is downright unpleasant to me. The flavor overpowers any reward the tongue recieves from the sweetness.

I think it would ruin baked goods. And amazingly enough there are likely folks up there who think it is just the best.

I am feeling blessed to live in the place I live for beekeeping. If my bees brought in what I bought I would have quit.
    As you know many factors are involved in the taste/crystallization of honey. Locally knotweed from the river valley taste good but the stuff from dry hill tops taste real smoky/bitter. Look on the bright side, your purchase helps to support a fellow beekeeper and you have a better appreciation of the taste of your own honey.

Crystallization is more dependent on the glucose to fructose ratio. Glucose is a straight chained sugar, so it lines up and crystallizes faster than fructose, so the more glucose in the honey, the faster it crystallizes.

How can you judge the taste of "Vermont Honey" by trying one sample?
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Every honey source is a little different. Many crystalize within weeks. We have one plant here, leafy spurge, that produces a nasty honey. I have traded for another in Washington state that was cnsiderably worse. The absolute worst I ever tasted was tobacco plant honey and it tasted like a chew. I never complained to any of the producers. Lots of good choices out there from every state. Only thing I know for sure is my honey is absolutely the best!

Did you ever taste honey from Europe? Since we've been keeping bees, people bring us honey ( like we don't have enough) from all over. The French honey tastes bad to me, very bitter, but we've done some blind taste tests, some people loved it....the sample from Greece was even worse, still, some folks liked it. It's interesting to taste a variety of honeys, even stuff from not far away tastes different

They make a big deal out of sourwood honey down south and get a lot of money for it , move there hives quite a distance to get it , I finally had a chance to try it and wasn't impressed , it was very odd to me not real bad but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it , the wildflower here seems to be the best . I wonder if we just get use to what we have in are own areas , I use to think are goldenrod was the best but its hard to beat the spring wildflower honey .

Blackberry blossom honey is my favorite! It's neat how tastes evolve depending on what you are used to. I also like the taste of my tap water better than anywhere else I have travelled.

My hives are on the VT border about 30 miles south of Canada, my lasts years golden rod honey is now mostly solid and tastes awful, as it did last fall. This is the first year out of the last 16 I did not like it, but it always went to crystal quickly. Our spring/early summer flow is light and mild and tastes great.

A friend sent me this link today, as if honey from a certain nectar source is so very nutritionally superior to another. But I do know different sources have different tastes.

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/ma...oney-benefits/
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Mine taste different through the the year. I personally love the linden honey. But my husband prefers the blackberry. Neither of us like the later fall honey that I suspect is queen Anne's lace, pumpkin and wilflowers.

Usually we get a fall crop of knotweed honey, dark reddish stuff. I like it, but due to drought conditions here it's mostly gone by, no fall honey this year it appears

And if anybody wants to try Massachusetts honey, I'll trade a 2 oz bear for a 2 oz sample of yours. I've got mid-state (Uxbridge) and Cape Cod honey to offer....

I can appreciate that not everyone agrees which honey is good and which isn't but is there anyone out there who has tasted almond honey and can truthfully say they like it?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    How can you judge the taste of "Vermont Honey" by trying one sample?
    I was just mentioning the location and was only kidding when I said no offense Vermont t....

I do not think my post indicates I was judging the wheel state.

I just found interesting that after tasting over 50 jars at the meeting with no two alike, thst the next one I tasted was a no go.

I had not experiences of one that I would not want to use up.

I also like the blackberry honey. I get some and separate it and extract it differently. A local beekeeper here says the bees don't work blackberry and he has never seen them work it in 38 years. WONDER HOW HE TRAINS THEM.

I get the knotweed also I like it but my better half doesn't care for it , its very red in color but I also have the goldenrod flow at the same time so once its all extracted I end up with a nice amber colored fall honey the only bad part is that it crystallizes very fast .I think most of it is going back to the bee's if they need it for winter, except maybe for a jar or two for us .

Yer on Mefco PM me an address and I will send you my best and my last years best they are both the best after all.