Event parking in bee yard

Default Event parking in bee yard

We have an event coming up and will be parking 60 cars right next to our 5 hives. The hives are pointed away from the parking area. One colony is particularly aggressive when mowing the lawn. Is it safe (for the bees) to screen them in for the day? Forecast is low 80s, intermittent showers, but you know how that goes. Any other suggestions? Thanks very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Event parking in bee yard

I'm comfortable with bees and would have no problem. Except on days when something is wrong with the hive like running out of food (like now) or queen issues and the bees are pissy. For all the normal (non beekeeper) people I know, about a quarter of them would freak out especially mom's with kids. People do stupid things.

Default What... no buffer zone?

Pissy bees, curious kids (and adults)... what could go wrong?

The entrances pointing away should help a bit. so would a fence or screen to force them to fly up and away.
    Or park further away.

Woah woah woah... timeout.

You've got room to park 60 cars in your beeyard and only have five hives?!

Sounds like trouble brewing, go buy a fence made from that cheap bamboo fencing sold at home depot, hide the hives from view.
    quick easy, keep watch so people don't harass your girls.

You can always put something(coins. shims etc.) underneath the top to let warm air escape without letting the bees out.

I go through this twice a year or so. Not 60 cars but probably 20 or 30 which have to drive by the hives (within 20 feet) and park near the edge of the property before walking back. I do have a "Bee Crossing" sign on a tree near the hives and I spray paint a line on the grass to mark the edge of the "path" between the hives and the yard. I worry more about someone smacking a hive driving out at the end of the party than I do with them pulling in. So far, I haven't had a problem but I do think about it every year. We're having folks over this Sunday and on the 24th and it'll be the same concern. If I had to push everyone further away, I'd hammer those thin snow stakes into the ground and ribbon them up with caution tape to direct people as far as possible from the colonies.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Woah woah woah... timeout.

You've got room to park 60 cars in your beeyard and only have five hives?!

Please post the address. I want to come watch!!!
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

this day in age, I'd be more worried about someone who's allergic and getting stung on your property and trying to sue you for it. I'd make sure you have it well posted and make sure anyone parking there knows that bees are present on the grounds. Just a little CYA kinda thing. There are some sad folks out there these days....

Quote Originally Posted by Kettle Ridge View Post
    Is it safe (for the bees) to screen them in for the day? Forecast is low 80s, intermittent showers, but you know how that goes. Any other suggestions?
    Safe for the bees, describe safe? Screen in the people, if you know what I mean Lost day of foraging, hot and friskaay bees the following day, no thank you.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Would there be any possible way to "valet" at least until the cars closest to the bees are parked?

Someone responsible around the bees (like your self) taking on the "risk" instead of the guests?

If you have water close by put a sprinkler on them. One of the tricks Commercial beekeepers Use to keep bee in hives when at a long stop.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Joe