Have you seen swarms carry hive beetles? How can I be sure to not introduce SHB

Default Have you seen swarms carry hive beetles? How can I be sure to not introduce SHB

I want to bring my own bees to a remote valley on a island. This island has small hive beetles in town and basically everywhere I have seen apiarys but I'm not sure if they have made it to this remote valley or not and don't want to be the one to introduce them lol(there are feral hives around but I have not found them to inspect them). I thought about capturing a swarm and bringing it with no comb but read that the shb will sometimes travel with swarms to their new location. If I brought just the queen and maybe a couple hand full of bees each inspected for beetles would that be good enough or "overkill" ?? No winter to worry about and I could feed them and give them small box at first so starting them should not be the issue. Thx for insight

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Have you seen swarms carry hive beetles? How can I be sure to not introduce SHB

Just a personal opinion here, but if there are already SHBs on this island, there is no way to prevent them from finding your valley. They fly. Upwards of 5 miles at a clip. I have stood and watched beetles fly into my own hives. However, I don't have ANY live beetles in my hives. The few I have seen are dead--drowned in the oil in my IPM bottom board pans. They are extremely efficient beetle traps.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

Default Re: Have you seen swarms carry hive beetles? How can I be sure to not introduce SHB

>How can I be sure to not introduce SHB

They are endemic. I don't think you can do anything about the fact that they will have SHB. You may or may not be able to stack the deck to minimize SHB.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

From the reports I have seen, the metal flashing works really well against SHB. 3/8" overhang on the bottom board coated with "NEVERWET" rustoleum product. 1 piece of metal flashing on the bottom side of the hive brood box over the entrance. I don't have an issue with SHB like that of other bee keepers. Can't really test it out to make a claim myself. Anyhow SHB are horrible to have in any bee yard.

I caught a swarm this spring with SHB. I noticed that when I shook the swarm off of the branch and in to a tote and the bees were marching in, a few SHB marched in as well. It was the first time I had seen it, and it surprised me only because I had not heard of them traveling with a swarm. After giving it some thought though, it does not surprise me. Here in Kentucky I don't know of anyone who doesn't have them in their apiary. And I'd be suspect of anyone who says they don't.

> This island has small hive beetles in town and basically everywhere I have seen apiarys but I'm not sure if they have made it to this remote valley

They are there.

You could make some traps using crushed comb, honey and pollen (freeze it first). When open feeding cappings to my bees beetles find them within minutes.