Hi, I was visiting my bee-yard today and found my dear queen elizabeth on the ground, thrown out of her hive. No wonder really(?) as the broodnest is the size of a tennisball. Although the bee population in this hive is medium strong. She did not look that good and her movement were slow so i tried to put her into her hive again but the bees did not like that so i put her in a push-in cage(?) with candy as a stopper and placed it next to the small broodsnest.
When i inspected this hive yesterday i found an open and empty queen-cell which i removed. So I think there is a virgin in the hive but Its getting really late for mating flights and the hive needs brood fast.
My hope is that queen elizabeth gets to stay a week or so more so that she can contribute with her (meager) egg-laying until the new queen gets mated (if that happens). There are not that many drones left in my hives but the weather forecasts show summer temperatures at least a week from now which is really uncommon here, so maybe?
What would you guys have done? As i see it i have several options, some of which may seem stupid to you experienced guys.
1. I can combine this hive with another hive making sure to kill the virgin.
2. I can combine with a strong hive with queen excluder in between making a two queen hive so that the virgin gets a chance to lay enough for the winter(if she gets mated) and then split the hive into two again.
3. I can buy a new mated queen and introduce her to the hive tomorrow, making sure i kill the virgin and queen elizabeth.
4. I can buy a new mated queen and imtroduce her to the hive without killing elizabeth and the virgin making it a two queen hive.
5. I can wait it out and see if the virgin get mated and starts to lay.
I dont have any experience with two queen hives and as most of you know Im a newbie. Its getting really late in the season also as most of the commercial beekeepers around here like to get feeding done by first of october and brood-break is expected by middle of december. I would like to keep all my hives for next year (got 6).... But i can see that this starts to look unlikely...
Any good advice?