I think I fed my bees too much sugar water... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I think I fed my bees too much sugar water...

Quote Originally Posted by gwenceles View Post
    I guess they could swarm now as well?
    not as likely this late in the season, especially now that you've removed the feeder. if you are able to determine if there are eggs in the both the top box and bottom box, i think the chances are good that there are two queens in there.

if that is indeed the case, the older queen may eventually take off with a small swarm or they might just go into winter with both queens and allow the older queen to die of natural causes.

what i would expect to see happening going forward is for the broodnest in the medium to get closed out and backfilled with honey. i think your best bet is to just let things play out at this point.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have a 5 frame nuc that is consuming 6 mason jars a day and that is just when I notice they are empty. Im sure they could and would drink more. I open feed and have it set up to where not a drop is wasted. I give them the choice at least. not dumping it unto their hive in July, just seems wrong, but I want to grow fast so im helping.

2nd year- Sounds like you did great getting them established. FWIW, I have a colony that is more protective of it's nest. That trait in and of itself is not such a bad thing because they know how to defend. I'm using a quiet box (enjambres talks about this) and hive drapes (flour sack towels found at BiMart) for my inspections and it's making a difference. I lay a flour sack drape over the boxes that are taken off to help them feel more protected and there's much less flying. The quiet box is used to store frames taken out to give me room to inspect. There are YouTube videos about how to build them and I have very rudimentary carpentry skills. I almost made the mistake of over feeding because I can't stand the idea of them being hungry. But once they have pulled comb in the lowest brood box the goal is mostly met. Then when they started back filing the brood nest that told me all I needed to know. They weren't hungry. They were faking me out and storing all the extra in inappropriate places. No more feeding unless there is a dearth and my inspections tell me they don't have enough stores.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Quote Originally Posted by wesbeekeeper View Post
    I have a 5 frame nuc that is consuming 6 mason jars a day and that is just when I notice they are empty. Im sure they could and would drink more. I open feed and have it set up to where not a drop is wasted. I give them the choice at least. not dumping it unto their hive in July, just seems wrong, but I want to grow fast so im helping.
    You have to be feeding lots of bees besides your nuc.
    Are you using food coloring in your syrup? It will be interesting to hear nearby beekeepers commenting on the green or red or blue honey in their hives.

As someone who actually uses mason jars in their nucs, I can tell you that a strong 5 frame nuc will put away a pint to a pint and a half in 24 hours. Most of the nucs will not take it that fast. I have robbing sceens on the nucs so I know it is staying in the hives and not being "shared".
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

open feed.... like out in the open?
    you are likely feeding "several" hives.
    I doubt a 5 frame NUC could take more than a Quart in a day.

I would check inside the NUC if you have in total 2 frames of honey or more, 1) stop feeding 2) add space to the NUC
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    open feed.... like out in the open?
    you are likely feeding "several" hives.
    I doubt a 5 frame NUC could take more than a Quart in a day.

I would check inside the NUC if you have in total 2 frames of honey or more, 1) stop feeding 2) add space to the NUC
    GG
    Update. That 5 frame nuc is now taking 1/2 gallon a day for the past week. And yes I open feed, with only 1 hive I don't worry about robbing. I also work from home and have the feeder right outside my window so I watch them all day. Not 1 wasp or yellow jacket. They are taking it all to their selves... But I have a problem now, they have backfilled to the point the queen is not laying or left the hive. I cant find her and no eggs. so I am not feeding them sugar water for a while.

I don't have any near by bee keepers, im yet to see a bee from another hive. It would be very easy for me to notice considering I see EVERY bee fly straight back to the hive.

I have been told that cutting the sugar water will slow comb growth. They managed to draw almost 15 frames in 3 weeks... This was a very strong nuc with a queen laying in virtually every cell. They also had swarm cells when I got them, so they were already ready to draw a lot of comb.

I have been told that cutting the sugar water will slow comb growth. They managed to draw almost 15 frames in 3 weeks... This was a very strong nuc with a queen laying in virtually every cell. They also had swarm cells when I got them, so they were already ready to draw a lot of comb.
    ok so i am getting mixed messages, 15 frames of bees is not really a NUC, I was thinking you had a 5 frame NUC. If you are in 5 over 5 over 5 I would put them into 2 deep 10 frame boxes placing the most "sugar" filled frames to the top and outside and empty in the bottom center.
    "I have been told that cutting the sugar water will slow comb growth" AND "they have backfilled to the point the queen is not laying"
    So both of these cannot be true today, So the bees build the comb (needing to be feed at this point is debatable) then they "fill" the comb. So once you had the comb build and "partially" filled, like 20-30% feeding is no longer "needed". Once they get past 50% full you either need to split or add space, feeding them at this point is not "recommended"
    If they swarmed which is possible/likely with the over feeding, filling most of the available Cells , then you may be in between the swarm leaving and the new queen starting to lay. at this point you will need to determine if you have a queen and how to keep them from swarming again.

And I have a hard time with the 15 frames using a 1/2 gallon of syrup a day. If you are feeding 1:1 that is almost a frame a day in 15 days the hive is filled, 2:1 would take a bit longer, like 30 days. If they swarmed the swarm likely is also feeding on the open feed.

BYW I am in the camp of never feed syrup. Now you have several frames of capped Syrup, it would work for bee feeding I guess. It is not honey FYI
    Also please update your profile with location data, some areas do have dearth so all advice has localisation.

I got the 5 frame nuc 22 days ago. and they were averaging 1/4gal a day for first 2 weeks and last week was a 1/2gal mason jar a day. I don't think they swarmed because there are so many bees on all the frames, I just don't know what they are doing becuase there isn't any larvae to take care of. just every freakin cell has syrup in it now.

ya the syrup honey has no flavor, but it can be healthier for the bees than some honey. at least they don't have to filter it, so it will be used as feed of course. I am from little rock, AR located right by BEE PARADISE two rivers park. Has a garden of trees just for starters that has hundreds of different trees that bloom year round, and a hundred acres of gardens, with 1000 acres of clover, wild flowers and lots of other resources. so probably not going to be the same for y'all . only reason I fed sugar water was to speed up comb drawing and to make sure they got a good kick start.

they are have completely drawn out 2 deep boxes now, they stared with 5 frames drawn, so they did 15 frames in 22 days

I got the 5 frame nuc 22 days ago. and they were averaging 1/4gal a day for first 2 weeks and last week was a 1/2gal mason jar a day. I don't think they swarmed because there are so many bees on all the frames, I just don't know what they are doing becuase there isn't any larvae to take care of. just every freakin cell has syrup in it now.
    So add space, foundation if that is all you have. IF you can get an extractor, you could pull 6 full frames and extract, put the empty in the center of the bottom box. O and quit feeding

IMO honey is better feed for bees that any syrup, and other thread perhaps

haha ya defiantly going to quit feeding, I just hope the queen is still in there, they haven't made any queen cups, but or course there is no eggs, so really hope she is still there.

ya the syrup honey has no flavor, but it can be healthier for the bees than some honey. at least they don't have to filter it, so it will be used as feed of course. I am from little rock, AR located right by BEE PARADISE two rivers park. Has a garden of trees just for starters that has hundreds of different trees that bloom year round, and a hundred acres of gardens, with 1000 acres of clover, wild flowers and lots of other resources. so probably not going to be the same for y'all . only reason I fed sugar water was to speed up comb drawing and to make sure they got a good kick start.
    Right, but once the combs are drawn then the danger is they pack them full of syrup. BTW it take about 7 pounds of honey to make 1 pound of beeswax.
    Do you have a super you can add?

I wasn't expecting to be extracting this year so I haven't got an extractor yet, just goin to have to up cap and try to shake out? Im not sure how to get it out.

Ya I have a super I can throw on, just wanted to save it for fall honey. but they need some empty frames at least. I just don't want them transferring that syrup into my fall honey supers.

Wow that would explain where all the sugar water I have been feeding is going, of course other than every cell of the brood frames, but didnt realize it was such a large resource puller

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast