I think I fed my bees too much sugar water... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: I think I fed my bees too much sugar water...

Another metric the bees use well is the gain or loss per trip. IE If it take 40 calories to go on a mission to collect 35 calories of nectar they will not do it. If they use 35 calories to go on a trip to collect 50 calories then it is worth the trip. They normally will go 2-3 miles, 5 miles in a dearth. However the farther they go the better the nectar needs to be. They do not make trips with no gains. with parks and such there is also trees some have nectar or pollen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    A drop or two of nectar is all they collect per flower. I think the figure is something like 2 million floral visits to make one pound of honey. Make you realize just how hard those bees are working to fill your honey jar.
    Yep; drop by a drop.
    The important thing to realize - many flowers do not produce even a drop, to bother with them.
    I got lots of cup plants, the Susans, coreopsis, and such - right outside of my windows - pretty flowers/useless as honey bee forage.
    Volunteer mint and oregano, on the other hand, the honey bees do love.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

When people use mason jars in their nucs upside down...I've seen that in videos a lot, but I'm still a newb.

I worry about how do you make sure it doesn't spill and leak water all over in their hive?

Quote Originally Posted by hagane View Post
    When people use mason jars in their nucs upside down...I've seen that in videos a lot, but I'm still a newb.

I worry about how do you make sure it doesn't spill and leak water all over in their hive?
    put the mason jars into an inner cover, place a deep over the top with the normal lid. the pictures are for show, just use 2 covers and a deep.
    then worry about the Ants
    GG

The holes in the lid of the mason jar are small, I use my staple gun to make them. The syrup will only come out as the bees consume it or the jar heats up and pushes some of the syrup out. One reason that most people place the jar inside a hive body and cover it.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Another metric the bees use well is the gain or loss per trip. IE If it take 40 calories to go on a mission to collect 35 calories of nectar they will not do it. If they use 35 calories to go on a trip to collect 50 calories then it is worth the trip. They normally will go 2-3 miles, 5 miles in a dearth. However the farther they go the better the nectar needs to be. They do not make trips with no gains. with parks and such there is also trees some have nectar or pollen.
    Well after almost a week of not feeding sugar water some amazing things happened. They moved all the honey from brood area and QUEEN IS LAYING AGAIN!! Also noticed they seem to have used that excess sugar water to draw comb like crazy. They were more productive over the past week than any other. As was I because I acquired 3 more hives! Just thought I would share the results

Also got one for everyone. I recently did a cutout from an old metal can, I did the cutout right behind my other hives. They were feral bees, much smaller bees. It was about a single deep if not more worth of bees, got a gallon of honey off of them, I did the cutout like most do on youtube and didnt leave any honey inside as per advice from more experienced keepers.

What seems to have happened though is all my other hives picked up a lot of bees. Like 80% if not more made their way into other hives, what would cause this and is there something that can be done to avoid this in the future? I guess I shouldn't have done the cutout so close to other hives. Didnt think they would just up and abandon ship.

Quote Originally Posted by wesbeekeeper View Post
    Well after almost a week of not feeding sugar water some amazing things happened. They moved all the honey from brood area and QUEEN IS LAYING AGAIN!! Also noticed they seem to have used that excess sugar water to draw comb like crazy. They were more productive over the past week than any other. As was I because I acquired 3 more hives! Just thought I would share the results
    good news, sounds like a step in the correct direction. If your new 3 hives have one or 2 with low amounts of stores, you can equalize a bit by moving a frame of "syrup" to the lowest stores hive and boosting them a bit. Do be aware swapping frames between hives can spread bacteria and virus. SO be sure to have an idea of hive health of the donor hive.

Awesome thanks for the advice, the new hive is the strongest I have personally ever seen. I did a 5 frame split from them, and within the week they already had all 5 frames drawn out so I added a super!

When I opened the new hive up to inspect before purchasing I could not see any frames, comb, the walls, ceiling, floor, nothing was visible, I don't understand why they hadn't swarmed yet. Just packed every inch with bees.

Quote Originally Posted by wesbeekeeper View Post
    When I opened the new hive up to inspect before purchasing I could not see any frames, comb, the walls, ceiling, floor, nothing was visible, I don't understand why they hadn't swarmed yet. Just packed every inch with bees.
    They can get that full. It can be a challenge to find the queen cells when they are that full. the split would mean each part needs enough stores for making the winter. Have fun, now you can compare a bit. Insure in 4 weeks both 1/2s are queen rite unless you introduced a new queen to the NUC you created.

Check out the attached pick , this is the bottom box of a 2 box hive there were at least 14 queen cells on the frame bottoms, some are covered with bees but several are visible. This bottom glance is a good initial way to see if you have queen cells for swarming.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I allowed them to be queen less for 12hr and introduced a queen, within a few seconds the entire nuc was fanning. I gave it another 24hrs and just let her go inside the nuc, could have been a very bad decision but only time will tell. I should have just been patient and allowed them to free her.... but I could tell they accepted her just hope they didnt kill her though. Or I should have just released her like backyard bees does on day one after you see them accept her. I was afraid with more time in the cage they may start to get frustrated or leave back to the mother hive becuase I didnt put much capped brood or larvae. I wasn't going to put a wall to wall capped brood in there for something to go wrong, just wasn't going to happen.

Feeding constantly can seriously stunt the growth of a colony as the queen has no where to lay. Usually they will end up swarming when they don't have enough bees to do so.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234