the box beast - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the box beast

Default Re: the box beast

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    sak as you're still tweaking this i'll throw this out there. maybe you've already ruled it out for some reason. what about turning the table vertical? You already said the table is 1/2 inch plate so if you make similar gaurds out of steel at the front and back of the blades....having the then bottom one longer as a feed table...then it would be much harder to get hurt. if anything does break.....cause we know everything does...nothing will come through to the operator but instead either hit the new gaurds or be shot out the back. plus a lot easier on the shoulders then having to go up as high as they do now.
    I was thinking something similar where the blades edges that are directly across from the operator are used in conjunction with a table that moves up and down into the blades, instead of sliding the boards across the tops of the blade edges. It would keep things square, but more importantly keep the operator a bit more safe.

Great job so far!!! I love ingenuity at work!
    Last edited by bibbster; 09-14-2016 at 10:35 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Love it.

Take an oil rig guy to make something like that.
    That is what my father in law did and yep, that is exactly what I could see him making in his old shop.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

just for you beepro

Thanks, Sak!
    Somethin to thinker about.
    If you built 2 of them then the output is better.
    Of course, improving the safety features on the 1st version first.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

2 of them??? Hell I can't keep up feeding this one - eats wood faster than I can buy it - I haven't sold any boxes yet.
    Hoping to get an inventory ready this winter though so I can recoup some of my money back.
    Will be working on some guards for this when I return home
    But ya got to admit - its bad to the bone

If this is a new invention then I would not invest too much until I
    make sure these boxes can be sold or use. Excess inventory is just
    money sitting there not growing your operation. I would calculate how
    much can be sold and how much can be use for your operation. Of course, inventory
    left over can be use for next year's growth but not too excessive will do. Mentor can only
    show you so much. Growing your operation is up to you to plan it. Beekeeping is all local some
    years it is growing like crazy some years it does not. With the changes in our climate now I
    would be a bit cautious to invest in more excess inventory. When I look at the recent flooding over
    at the other states and countries, I wonder when it is going to be our turn here?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I have over 300 hives and I could quickly expand to 400/450 if these boxes don't sell. But I have a couple orders in the works right now. Plus I'm thanking - use new to split nucs. There's a large market for those if there built early enough. Plus I got to have something to spent all this oil money on. After 40 years of beekeeping I no longer have a mentor. Also - if I have to keep everything - 1 good tallow flow will pay me back plus. My plans are - when I return home this trip - I should have enough inventory to place an ad here on bee source. I plan on catering to the little guys. I will have starter sets ready to go, and if there still in my warehouse come spring - I will shove in a nuc and let them pull foundation and make a deep or two of honey. Then I'll start selling nucs, singles, queens & doubles.
    I'm in no hurry to get a return on the money spent on wood. I've been in this game for a long time and I know I can sell.

Ugh, even when they don't sell you can still have extra reserves from the oil money.
    Maybe for the manuka honey you can grow some plants there too. I wonder which variety will
    grow in TX? Ebay is expensive on those honey too.

Amazing setup. Love the stacked blades but be careful. I am also interested in some woodenware. Can't wait to see the ad.

Quote Originally Posted by 357 View Post
    Amazing setup. Love the stacked blades but be careful. I am also interested in some woodenware. Can't wait to see the ad.
    I think if the setup is called the "box beast", then the wooden ware should be called "The Beast Box"!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

A few dollars add up quickly in large quantity.
    We'll all be interested when the price is right.
    The only question is can you keep up with the order? Maybe
    it is time to build another set up for the extra demands when the price is right.

That being said will the price be right? We need a Black Friday year round price. Shipping is the killer so we need guys like you around the country. Shastina is awesome but by the time you add shipping....

This is a 2 year old thread

but it is still active Elmer and we got the beast dialed in. finishing up a 2000 box run and December gonna start a 2700 box run
    hillbilly - check the for sale for ad - selling assembled deeps and mediums for what most are selling un-assembled boxes for

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123