the box beast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the box beast

Default the box beast

had some negative feedback on some other threads telling me you can't stack saw blades and use them safely. Well I have been for years and have not had any issues. Check this out - we call it the box beast. If 1 person moves the wood - and 1 person runs the saw - we can cut over 150 whole boxes per hour. All 4 sides
    Check this you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6v...ature=youtu.be

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: the box beast

That's cool as heck

you can't just throw that monster out there and not show us the actual machine!! is that a small block chevy?? wouldn't it be better to have a jig so the board slides down but the blades are all covered? or is there a purpose for the push after the slide down on those?
    Terrence

Sak I have done the same for years also.Dados are just stacked blades also except for one of those wobble heads and I sure dont like those vibrating things!

Definitely not something to show are friends at OSHA. Now I will stop swearing.

scary beast, impressive but scary. very cool. now you have me thinking. thanks sak

54 saw blades on a custom built shaft - drilled the saw packs and installed 4 bolts in them to hold the teeth where I want them. Pulled buy a Kubota 6 horse diesel motor.
    Kaizen - the push - when the board is inserted - its on the curved part of the blades - the push levels the cut

Beside the four holes to index the teeth, did you bore out center? What is the shaft diameter?
    Frank

Yes bore the saw blades to 1 inch. Same as shaft size. Have 3/4 bore on ends for bearings. 6 inches on pulley side and 5 inches on the other. Took 1 inch plate and drilled/tapped for bearing mounts. Welded all this to a 1/2 plate table. On shaft i welded a 1/8 washer for a blade stop and threaded the other end 1 inch fine thread. Making sure the nut tightens while rotating. All this machine work done for less than a grand.
    Last edited by sakhoney; 09-05-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: More info

I will post more pictures when I arrive at work

They say "go big, or go home". I'm headed to the house with my dado blade in tow. That is an awesome setup for production.

Sak - Lots of folks claim lots of stuff cannot be done. That is a spooky scarey machine.

But like a lot of old fashion stuff, it worked well but you probably have to respect it a little bit. Amazing what you can do with the right mind set.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

Machine was being used without guards. We're still dialing it in. When we get it like we want we'll have a swivel blade guard over it. And a belt guard.

Wow

If only I worked at a Machine Shop I'd be building stuff like that out of scrap metal in my spare time and getting the same "you'll put your eye out" comments.
    Nice work Sak. It's beautiful.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    had some negative feedback on some other threads telling me you can't stack saw blades and use them safely. Well I have been for years and have not had any issues. Check this out - we call it the box beast. If 1 person moves the wood - and 1 person runs the saw - we can cut over 150 whole boxes per hour. All 4 sides
    Check this you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6v...ature=youtu.be
    Running that kubota diesel sitting on the table sure creates a lot of vibration. Bolt it to a separate stand on the floor and the machine will probably run much smoother.

Lots of respect to the guy running that machine sucking exhaust all day.

If these were my employees i'd be switching to an electric vs that diesel. But the youtube video wouldn't be as exciting.
    The bees are good at fixing my mistakes

Changing from diesel could be costly so sometimes you have to work with what you have got.

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    and getting the same "you'll put your eye out" comments.
    Nice work Sak. It's beautiful.
    Putting his own eye out is just fine, but if he's making employees use that turn of the century style hand eater.. that would be criminal.
    And no I'm not a pansy. I've been framing and building houses full time for 30 years, many of them production, as an employee and an employer, so I know my way around saws and sketchy setups and have seen some nasty stuff...
    It just ain't worth it man. Shut it down.

As stated. Were still dialing this in. We will be installing guards asap. Also he has on a full face shield. As far as the diesel smoke the exhaust has been routed up. I also run this and did not want to be breathing diesel fumes all day. Also I have a electric motor on order.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    Changing from diesel could be costly so sometimes you have to work with what you have got.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the diesel, makes a great youtube video, just would not want to be using it all day long.

You can pick up 3hp electric motors from harbor freight for $150 or so, not that spendy.
    The bees are good at fixing my mistakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast