Trying Michael Palmer's way - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Trying Michael Palmer's way

The biggest problem with expanding using MP as an influence is ECD - exploding colony disorder. Another way to think of nucs is as incubators for bees - there is something about the box shape that seems to encourage colony growth. Work out how many boxes you think you will need and then double it and make that number in the winter off season so you will be ready.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    The biggest problem with expanding using MP as an influence is ECD - exploding colony disorder. Another way to think of nucs is as incubators for bees - there is something about the box shape that seems to encourage colony growth. Work out how many boxes you think you will need and then double it and make that number in the winter off season so you will be ready.
    Ive discovered i really enjoy making the wooden ware
    -> i made 8 supers, 13 quilt boxes and a whole bunch of feeding shims this past weekend. I bought the incra Ibox which makes perfect box joints...crazy how fast and easy it was!
    I plan to continue making supers/bottom boards/inner covers and telescoping top covers and double overwintering nuc boxes over the fall and winter so i should have a TON of equipment for expansion next year if the bees just do their part and survive!!!!

Me too Aran!

Built a couple duplex hives out of necessity last fall. Had four nucs that needed space and was low on cash so I sacrificed two deeps. Oh it was tough making that decision when I was so low on wooden ware. I totally expected all four colonies to die and was surprised to find that all four lived. (even the dink). This spring they got put in full size boxes and exploded.

If you're considering giving this a try do not hesitate. What do you got to lose other than a couple weak colonies that would do better in a 4/4 or 4/4/4? Double them up and they share heat. Amazing how well they do. I keep building more of them too.

Another thing I did this spring was stack nucs. 3 deeps with about 4 mediums on top and gee whiz they like that. Get ready for the honey and a swarm or two. If you're wanting more bees this is a very good way to get there.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    You can run short in a good year if you just double what you think you will need so be ready.

Good advice I will just keep building over the fall and winter and make sure I have much more wood ware than I think I'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    make sure I have much more wood ware than I think I'll need.
    And then build double.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12