recommended Honey Gates?

Default recommended Honey Gates?

Bought a honey gate off of Amazon that had pretty good reviews.... Of course it is leaking. Cheap chinese junk IMO.

Can anyone recommend me a honey gate? Of course, I'm in the bottom of the 9th inning and bases loaded. I don't think I'll have over 10 gallons or so, so my plan is to get it into buckets w/ lids and let it settle for a couple days. Hopefully I can get a gate ordered then transfer the settled honey to the bottling bucket once I'm ready.

Suggestions?
    I keep track of my hives using http://www.mybeekeeper.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: recommended Honey Gates?

The only gate I have that doesn't leak is a stainless steel one on my extractor. I have plastic gates from different vendors, all leak. From now on, I will only buy SS gates.
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

I've had good luck with gates from all the vendors... is the "o" ring in place? That's what seals it when you close it. Is the gasket on the correct side when you put it on the bucket? (instructions usually come with the gate)
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

are those the light tan gates, if so you need to use teflon tape to seal them, all threads used with liquids should always be teflon taped.
    I have 5 of those tan gates and they work fine. snug them tight a bit more. people who don't know plumbing skills, don't realize teflon tape is needed to seal threads.

buy the yellow teflon tape, it's thicker, or get the blue it's the thickest. go to home depot or your local hardware store.
    white is thinnest
    then yellow
    then blue thickest

Problem is, it's not leaking from the bucket side. It's leaking from the gasket side of the valve. Gasket seems good and in place. I've tightened down the pivot screw, as well as the wing nut. Upon further inspection, it seems when the wing nut is tightened down real good, it pushes the gate up a bit. It appears to be a defect in the plastic moulding. I think I'm going to hit it with a rasp to take the hump out of it and see it things improve.
    I keep track of my hives using http://www.mybeekeeper.com/

I've had good luck with the plastic gates from Mann Lake. Mine don't leak, even with water.

I have three plastic gates from MannLake. Two leak from the bucket side. I will try teflon tape. One leaks from the gate while bottling the honey and it did not do this last time.
    The pivot nut is snug. Maybe it is over tight.
    Following...

That might be it Marti, loosen the pivot to find that sweet spot that allows the gate to stay flat on the O ring when closed. Too tight ,it bends the gate. I like the Mann Lake gate that uses a square stick to tighten the inner nut,,,,,,Pete

I have found that after a few years of use they tend to leak and as you know they leak when the bucket is full. I tighten then very hard and hope for the best. I plan to change all of mine next year.

A few years ago, it was suggested to buy the Italian-made honey gates and avoid the Chinese-made units. I bought two and they work great. Now I need a few more and can't find them. Does anyone even sell the Italian gates, anymore? -james