From an article entitled "All queens must die"

Default From an article entitled "All queens must die"

This is an excerpt from an article on killing invasive species on Santa Cruz Island

The program to remove the bees was far more tactically rigorous: for five years, beginning in 1988, scientists carefully mapped all the colonies, killing off the easy ones. In 1994, they introduced a parasitic mite to take care of the rest. By 2002, only one colony was left, on top of a grade named Matzana. Within seven months, that was gone, too

So they "introduced a parasitic mite"! geez.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/25/12...re-conservancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: From an article entitled "All queens must die"

Here's another contentious one:

Federal wildlife officials release a non native wolf into the animal population to control animal numbers..

I'm with the government and I'm here to help.
    David Matlock

Islands are often places with rare species that are harmed by introduced ones. They are often far enough away from mainland areas and small enough that some control of non natives is possible. Lots of this coincides with ecological studies looking for effects of these actions.

I'm sure there is lots of stupidity that comes with the territory, but that is true of all fields where people are involved. Beekeepers should hardly point at other people.

I read that article, it was a very good rendering of the reasons that project is being done on the island. As it is now a giant science project/experiment, I wonder when, if ever, they will check native bees for the introduced "parasitic mite". If it was varroa, they would likely be dead too.

But , the whole article, is about damaging introduced species, in isolation. It seems crazy, to add another one.

Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    Islands are often places with rare species that are harmed by introduced ones. They are often far enough away from mainland areas and small enough that some control of non natives is possible. Lots of this coincides with ecological studies looking for effects of these actions.

I'm sure there is lots of stupidity that comes with the territory, but that is true of all fields where people are involved. Beekeepers should hardly point at other people.
    I read what caused me to believe that this was a rare surviving population of genetically pure European dark bees as imported to America that had existed in complete isolation from Italian bees. If that is correct and if they destroyed the entire population without transplanting and preserving in continued isolation viable living samples of the original imported German bees, then that strikes me as an ironic destruction of an actual rare living American cultural artifact and European natural and cultural artifact in order to build an artificial simulation of a prior natural environment. Like destroying a block of genuine 18th century houses to make room for an artificial simulation of colonial Williamsburg. A little grotesque, but quintessentially American.
    David Matlock