Yellow Jacket Bait Stations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Big Grin Re: Yellow Jacket Bait Stations

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    Sorry to mislead you Harry, I am using my Taurus as termite control!
    Those things are still on the road?
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Yellow Jacket Bait Stations

MTN, I hope you will keep an eye on things and report on the population.
    If the Yellow jacket pressure returns then it will appear that you just killed most of the foragers.
    If the Yellow jacket sightings slow to a stop, BINGO!!!!!
    I can't wait to get your results.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Well, now I'm a little concerned:

Colony collapse disorder[edit]

Fipronil is one of the main chemical causes blamed for the spread of colony collapse disorder among bees. It has been found by the Minutes-Association for Technical Coordination Fund in France that even at very low nonlethal doses for bees, the pesticide still impairs their ability to locate their hive, resulting in large numbers of forager bees lost with every pollen-finding expedition.[25] A 2013 report by the European Food Safety Authority identified fipronil as "a high acute risk to honeybees when used as a seed treatment for maize and on July 16, 2013 the EU voted to ban the use of fipronil on corn and sunflowers within the EU. The ban took effect at the end of 2013."[26][27]
    Not sure I can reconcile using this stuff on the the hornets and wasps with the risk to the bees I'm trying to protect.

You have to consider the totality of the situation. If I had a few YJs annoying the yard, I would live with it. I had thousands decimating this yard. I feel this was my best option to save this yard- and it did with no collateral damage that I have observed. I just came in from this yard and I saw no YJs.

I have been using this technique for several years with great success. I’m switching the Taurus SC this year due to cost. Frontline, even the generic products are expensive. I will be using a 1/2 cc per can of canned cat food- fish based. Hopefully it will work as well as the Frontline. If someone is using a different dosage, please let me know.

that has been the amount but I do not find I get many takers at that. I am going to drop back just a little. It is some pretty nasty stuff.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

I was fishing on the dock and having a couple of beers with my wife and I left a half full bottle of Heineken out. The ground hornets/YJ would not leave it alone and would crawl in and drown. After a couple of days I came back to the lake and the bottle was full of them. That year they were bad... I never located the nest.

Quote Originally Posted by 1954Lincoln View Post
    I was fishing on the dock and having a couple of beers with my wife and I left a half full bottle of Heineken out. The ground hornets/YJ would not leave it alone and would crawl in and drown. After a couple of days I came back to the lake and the bottle was full of them. That year they were bad... I never located the nest.
    That's one way to bait them! I wouldn't want to waste a full bottle of beer.
    By the way, gotta be careful when drinking outdoors when the YJs are bad. A friend was stung on the lip and her whole face swelled up.

I realize this thread is 3 years old but...Has anyone found that later in summer they need a sweet based lure as opposed to meat based? Now that we're in August, the YJ seem after honey, not bees (protein). Have you found the cat food/canned chicken bait still effective when the YJ are more carbohydrate focused? One wouldn't use honey, obviously, but fruit jelly, rotten fruit, soda, etc.

Thanks
    Fidalgo Island
    Sea level, Puget Sound, USDA 7a-7b

I do not have YJ traps out, but each year hundreds drown in my hive top feeders, (they chew their way in). So yes, I do believe that a sweet based lure would be effective.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I do not have YJ traps out, but each year hundreds drown in my hive top feeders, (they chew their way in). So yes, I do believe that a sweet based lure would be effective.
    I remember an old 'Tapply's tips' from Field and Stream. It was for camping and of course, fishing. The idea was to hang a dead fish over a pail of water. The yellowjackets would gorge on the fish, fall into the bucket, and drown. Pre pesticide days, I guess. IOW, a long time ago.

I have used an gallon glass wine jug with dilute honey water inside. Jackets go for it and drown; however, I'd keep an eye on it to make sure the bees don't go for it also. It also helps to wipe some honey around inside of the jug's neck.

That's the concern, using sugar water or honey or cappings wax with honey, and not attracting honey bees.

We're entering post blackberry dearth here. Open a hive, and the YJ are on the open honey, not hunting bees. Dry summer in Washington State, and the YJ are particularly bad this year.

Thanks for responding.
    Fidalgo Island
    Sea level, Puget Sound, USDA 7a-7b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12