Yellow Jacket Bait Stations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yellow Jacket Bait Stations

Today I resorted to baiting yellow jackets with cat food mixed with Fipronil (Generic Frontline for cats and dogs). Basically the yellow jackets are decimating my hives. As I walked to the bee yard the box with the bait and my arms became covered with yellow jackets. I was wearing full PPE.
    The yellow jackets cleaned out the bait stations within 90 minutes.

If anyone has used Fipronil baiting for yellow jackets, have you found something less expensive then the dog and cat version?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Yellow Jacket Bait Stations

Tell me about it! Once the dearth hit, my nucs were waging war! I took the lid off one and found the whole thing covered in yjs. They were in bee jail. Once i freed them they proceeded to attack me.

Soapy water was my retaliation to their homeland!

The advantage to baiting is the yjs take the bait back to the nest where it kills the nest. Usually in a couple of days.

Well don't feel persecuted guys. The Yellow jacket hoards of 2016 are not limited to the west. It is the worst year I have seen in decades for yellow jackets.

Well, the one good thing about the bears around here, they DO dig up, and eat, yellow jacket nests. So far this year, I haven't had a yj problem.

When I go hang out with my bees in the evening the past week or so I've been taking a fly swatter and help them fight the YJs. The 'hoard' is usually just picking up the few dead bees outside the hives but I do see one trying to get in an entrance once in awhile. They instantly get balled. I give the YJs within easy reach a slap from the wrist, then when other YJs come to scope out the carnage, I get them, too. fun times

Quote Originally Posted by MTN-Bees View Post
    The advantage to baiting is the yjs take the bait back to the nest where it kills the nest. Usually in a couple of days.
    Wondering what your mix ratio is?
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Well I have to say- the results were unbelievable. Tonight I went out to the yard I placed bait in. The bait I placed out this morning has not removed. And there were hardly any YJs. Overnight from thousands to a few here and their. I will have to monitor and see if the YJs nests were taken out or we just killed a lot of the attackers. I placed one tube of Frontline in one small can of cat food and mixed really well. Time will tell.
    Last edited by MTN-Bees; 08-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.

"Frontine" or Frontline?

Quote Originally Posted by radial View Post
    "Frontine" or Frontline?
    Oops, nevermind. Just re-read your original post.

Thanks- I fixed the error.

Okay, I just purchased 20 oz of Taurus SC with 9.1 % Fipronil. What amount do you figure I should add to a 3 oz can of cat food for controlling yellowjackets, white faced hornets, and European hornets?

I added 0.50mL fipronil to a 5.5 oz can of cat food. It's a very small amount. I placed the bait inside small plastic cups about the size of a shot glass. Then placed the cups inside suet feeders to keep the wildlife out of the bait.

Hey, thanks for the dosing info! I was also wondering how I could keep the other critters away from the cat food. Suet feeder would do the trick.

Same here, Taurus SC, ½ cc per can, of Friskies Flaked ocean whitefish dinner.
    I place mine in a pop bottle with some 3/8 holes drilled in it (without the cap) and hang them in the yards and have had zero issues since starting this. Best to start in the spring and also I have found that I move the bait location to different corners of the properties for best results.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

MTN-Bees, will you please give us follow-up reports periodically for the next few weeks?
    That would be really appreciated!
    There is only one approved pesticide in Oregon for yellow jacket bait stations and that is Onslaught.
    Several of us have been disappointed with it's efficacy.
    It does work. It is just very demanding in presentation.

Minz is right on the money.
    The first thing that I learned from Oregon State University is what a small area a yellow jacket colony forages.
    They aren't flying 2 miles like honey bees!!!
    In fact much of the literature exaggerates their range.
    We are talking a range of hundreds of FEET from their nest.
    This means that you can wipe them out in the front hay field, but in the back field they are untouched.
    So as Minz says, you have to treat your area in zones.

Here's some good news that I and a friend have experienced:
    Because their range is so small, if you clear them out, next year you will experience few if any yellow jackets.
    Remember, yellow jackets don't swarm!!
    The only yellow jackets that start up on your property in the spring are the progeny of overwintered solitary queens.
    If the colonies are eliminated in mid season, there will be few or no queens overwintering on your property.
    This is the case at our home site. Very few yellow jackets.
    However, I have a yard several miles away that is a nightmare.
    I started baiting them today.
    It will be interesting to see what next year is like there.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

I went out to yard this afternoon and I only saw two YJs. That was it. So I believe it worked well. The bees seemed to be much calmer also. I would continually have them hitting my veil, even before going through the electric fence. Tonight I only had one land on the veil and walk around for a few minutes. It's like night and day. I never experienced YJs in CO like this. I guess the colonies don't get as big their because there is a winter.

Harry: I looked at Onslaught and the test data from some researchers was not good. And the stuff is pretty expensive for not working. I'm going to look at the Taurus SC and see if it is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    There is only one approved pesticide in Oregon for yellow jacket bait stations and that is Onslaught.
    Several of us have been disappointed with it's efficacy.
    It does work. It is just very demanding in presentation.
    Sorry to mislead you Harry, I am using my Taurus as termite control!
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...-kit-onslaught

I have not tried this but works on the same principle as this discussion.

Harry, Thanks for the information. It verifies what I am seeing this year. Last year my hives were getting decimated. I finally found one nest when I stepped in it. The other The next day when my grandson noticed them. Both were taken out with Dawn and water in late August. This year I started early with the store bought traps and have caught only 2 all year in 6 traps and I have been putting in new pheromone monthly. Very good info going forward. Now I will know how far to be searching for the devils.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast